WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2022 8:59 PM  #31

Re: Tue 11 Oct 22 : Rushall Olympic v Ilkeston Town

The talk on the bus is why was Dempsey sent off?  Two players went for the ball,  some of our supporters thought it was a penalty.

12/10/2022 9:06 AM  #32

good job i wasnt there as i am piss-d off so many teams going mad when a tackle goes in and the player goes down if he has been hit by a tank. His team mates and management crying out for fouls, bookings and players to be sent off . Then guess what, the player gets up and runs off. This happens way too much in all leagues to which it should stamped out. If i was the ref i would have booked the player for simulation as he should. 

12/10/2022 9:08 AM  #33

Tue 11th Oct  2022
Southern League Premier Central
Rushall Olympic  2  Ilkeston Town  0
Jamie Ward’s team slipped to a third consecutive defeat and had two players dismissed on a night to forget in the West Midlands. Marshall Willock saw red just before half time after receiving two yellows and Dempsey Arlott-John was shown a straight red after he and Reece Mitchell both went in hard for a ball in the Rushall box.
After an even opening period Will Shorrock gave Rushall the lead on 17 minutes heading home Mitchell’s cross. Soon after Ollie Battersby did well to stop Kristian Green making it two from close range. A good Ilkeston move saw Rushall keeper Jacob Weaver get to the ball before Tom Solanke could strike but that was one of the few times the Pics keeper was troubled.
Despite being a player short, Ilkeston started the second half on the front foot and forced several corners. Arlott-John’s cross shot was diverted wide and Reece Hutchinson made a great run down the left all the way into the Rushall box before his effort was also deflected wide. A shot by Arlott-John then flashed across the face of Rushall’s goal but hopes of a comeback were dashed on 72 minutes when Shorrock scored Rushall’s second with a superb curler into the top corner after cutting inside. Three minutes later it was game over for Ilkeston when the referee produced a red card for Arlott-John. Rushall couldn’t take further advantage and a determined Ilkeston defence saw out the remaining time with Rushall’s only real goal threat coming on 86 minutes with header that Battersby did well to hold on to. 

12/10/2022 9:42 AM  #34

I'm not saying that Rushall didn't deserve to win but they certainly appeared to have more refereeing decisions go their way. In terms of goal attempts, Rushall were clear winners.
They were much more physical than us but it was our players that picked up cards.
Rushall were much more street wise than us and their players seemed well drilled in appealing en masse in order to get decisions in their favour and in my opinion the reaction of the Rushall players played a part in the cards being given to Willock and Arlott-John.

Okay I'm biased and I accept that the referee had a better view than me but in my opinion we were unlucky in terms of match changing decisions.
Am I being too harsh on the referee or did we bring it on ourselves?

I look forward to Jamie Ward's after match comments

Last edited by Matchman (12/10/2022 9:57 AM)

12/10/2022 11:14 AM  #35

Not sure where we go from here. We’re shipping goals, not creating any goal-scoring chances, and now confidence is very low.  Yes, the ref made some very strange decisions last night (to say the least) but we were poor again. Could have played all night and not scored. It was only due to Rushall’s lack of ambition that we only lost by 2.

Rushall looked hungrier and sharper than we did right from the off. They were really at it, they wanted it and we didn’t. All we can seem to do is pass the ball square all the time, and we don’t even do that quickly. What exactly does that achieve? We actually looked better in the second half when we had 10 men, same as Coalville really where we looked good for the first 25 minutes or so in the second half; lots of possession but we don’t do anything with it.

And it looks like we’ve dragged Arlott-John down to our level. He’s been a real threat in previous games but he was anonymous in the first half last night. Straight red (I’d love to see the video of that one cos even the Rushall fans were aghast at the decision) so I guess he’s now missing for 3 games? And a two-yellow red for Willock means he’ll be missing for the weekend? I thought the new lad, Delap, did ok at centre-back.

Why would you start with Erratt-Thompson and Bradley on the bench (Wilson and Erratt-Thompson have been one of the rare pluses down our right flank thus far this season). I maintain that one of the main reasons we’re struggling is the midfield. A midfield of Troke, Thomas, and Solanke must be one of the weakest in the league. They’re not very good at keeping the ball, they never seem to find an incisive pass, they’re not shielding the defence, and they’re not supporting the attack. We’re back to the bad old days of feeling jittery every time the ball comes in to our box. And it comes in frequently – how many corners did Rushall have in the first half last night, 15 or so?

I’m sure we’ll get one or two more players in, but surely that would just be a sticking plaster. And clubs doing well won’t want to let their best players go. And do you start to wonder if Ilkeston are getting a reputation as a graveyard for good players? Are Ward and Turner out of their depth, too big a job as your first foray into management? This is starting to feel like it needs a root and branch rebuild.

Things aren’t good at the moment (they haven’t been good for over half a season now, and I’m sure there are lots of reasons for that), but we’ve had lots of thick over the last 5 years, it’s our turn for a bit of thin. It will come good again, we’ve just got to do our bit and carry on supporting the team in the interim.

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (12/10/2022 11:15 AM)

12/10/2022 12:32 PM  #36

Jamie Ward said that he had a real go at the two sent off players and told them they had let the club down badly. Apparently Marshall Willock was distraught that last night's match could be his last. 

12/10/2022 6:24 PM  #37

Jamie Ward reflects on Rushall defeat

=0pxhttps://youtu.be/OCQlbCTmd_0

12/10/2022 7:59 PM  #38

DATE: WED 12 OCT 2022   BY STEVE WHITNEY
Tuesday`s Premier Division Central Round-Up
There was joy for AFC Rushden & Diamonds as they achieved just their second win of the campaign and first under the interim management of Chris Willmott and Richard Maxwell on Tuesday night in the Pitching In Southern League Premier Division Central.  And with Hednesford Town losing, Diamonds moved off the foot of the table as a consequence of their hard-earned 2-1 win against second-placed Nuneaton Borough at Hayden Road.After a goalless opening 45 minutes, the hosts took only 2 minutes to break the deadlock when Ryan Hughes bundled the ball home from a corner. And then just 4 minutes later, Diamonds found themselves 2-0 up when an unusual mistake by Boro’s normally reliable goalkeeper Tony Breeden when he tried to find a team-mate across the other side of his area but found the ball being intercepted by Jenson Cooper, who slotted into the empty net. Nuneaton responded though and just past the hour-mark Matt Stenson headed them back into the game. Diamonds were forced to hang on in the end and have efforts cleared off the line but defended stoutly and achieved victory.

Hednesford were involved in a battle against a Basford United side who are looking forward to their Emirates FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round at Vanarama National League side Solihull Moors on Saturday. However, if the Pitmen thought that the Nottinghamshire outfit would have their minds elsewhere on Tuesday night, they were mistaken! But it did look as though Steve Burr’s side, who had won their last two league and Isuzu FA Trophy matches, would hang on for a 0-0 draw.That was until the last minute of stoppage time at the end of the game when a Courey Grantham cross was turned into his own net by the Pitmen’s recent signing, Keith Lowe.

Nuneaton’s defeat at Diamonds meant that Tamworth, who started the evening joint top with Jimmy Ginnelly’s men, could go three points clear if they won at Bromsgrove Sporting. And that’s just what Andy Peaks` side did at the Victoria Ground. A crowd of 568 saw a hard-fought game which was goalless at half-time. The breakthrough finally came 20 minutes from time when Kyle Finn managed to beat Ollie Taylor in the Rouslers` goal.

Coalville Town remain in third spot but were held to a 2-2 draw at the Mander Cruickshank Solicitors Stadium by improving Redditch United, who are now fifth. However, Adam Stevens` hosts, also in FA Cup action on Saturday, were forced to come back from being 2-0 and a man down to earn a precious point. Danny King gave the Reds a 35th-minute lead that Reece Flanagan doubled in the 57th minute.Ten minutes later, Tom McGlinchey reduced the deficit and on 74 minutes, George Wilson fired a cracking long-range equaliser.But the Ravens` chances of going on to win the game took a massive blow when they had Jake Eggleton dismissed for a second bookable offence 9 minutes from time. They did though have the best chance to win it late on when Ash Chambers went through one-on-one with visiting `keeper Kieran Boucher, who won the duel.

Rushall Olympic moved into sixth place in the table when they beat an Ilkeston Town side who finished with nine-men.Will Shorrock opened the scoring at Dales Lane in the 17th minute to give the Pics the lead. The visitors` Marshall Willock then received two bookings within 9 minutes and was sent-off just before the break. Shorrock eventually doubled his and Rushall’s lead after 72 minutes and then the Robins were reduced to nine-men when Dempsey Arlott-John was shown a straight red card for a late tackle.

Royston Town were the evening’s other winners, beating Kings Langley 1-0 at Garden Walk to move up to 11th in the table. The only goal of the game came on the hour-mark, courtesy of a strike from Nathan Tshikuna.However, Steve Castle’s side were grateful to goalkeeper Dimi Kyriatzis for several excellent saves to deny Kings.

Last edited by Matchman (12/10/2022 8:00 PM)

Board footera