WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2022 4:39 PM  #31

Re: Sat 12 Nov 22 : Nuneaton Borough v Ilkeston Town

It's so disappointing to find ourselves two behind. Two desperate blocks by Nuneaton defenders as Ilkeston do everything but score.        0-2    74 mins

12/11/2022 4:41 PM  #32

UPDATES 12.11.22
Southern League Premier Central 
Barwell 1 Bromsgrove Sporting 1
Basford United 1 Needham Market 1
Bedford Town 1 St Ives Town 2
Coalville Town 1 Stratford Town 1
Hitchin Town 2 Alvechurch 1
Kings Langley 1 Hednesford Town 1
Leiston 2 Tamworth 1
Nuneaton Borough 2 Ilkeston Town 0
Redditch United 0 Mickleover 1
Royston Town 1 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1
Rushall Olympic 2 Stourbridge 0

Others
Nottingham Forest 1 Crystal Palace 0
Milton Keynes Dons 1 Derby County 2
Rochdale 0 Mansfield Town 1
Eastleigh 0 Notts County 2
Alfreton Town 0 Bradford Park Avenue 0
Buxton 0 Banbury United 3
Hyde United 0 Matlock Town 1 ft
South Shields 2 Belper Town 1
Carlton Town 1 Pontefract Collieries 0
Shildon 1 Long Eaton United 2
Gresley Rovers 0 Corby Town 2

12/11/2022 4:48 PM  #33

Bradley replaced by Fyfe on  76 mins.  Nuneaton shot hits the post as Ilkeston are forced to take risks at the back. Ilkeston are having all the possession but can't create a finish.     0-2       82 mins

Last edited by Matchman (12/11/2022 4:49 PM)

12/11/2022 4:57 PM  #34

Ilkeston pen appeal turned down and I think Thomas was booked for protesting. Not much has gone right this  half.       8 minutes added time     0-2

12/11/2022 5:03 PM  #35

Nuneaton defender clears off the line on one of the few times that Nuneaton keeper was beaten.

Full time  Nuneaton  2 Ilkeston  0

We must have had two thirds of possession and we lose 0-2

Last edited by Matchman (12/11/2022 5:05 PM)

12/11/2022 5:03 PM  #36

UPDATES 12.11.22
Barwell 1 Bromsgrove Sporting 1 ft
Basford United 2 Needham Market 1 ft
Bedford Town 1 St Ives Town 3
Coalville Town 1 Stratford Town 1 ft
Hitchin Town 2 Alvechurch 1 ft
Kings Langley 2 Hednesford Town 1 ft
Leiston 2 Tamworth 1 ft
Nuneaton Borough 2 Ilkeston Town 0 ft
Redditch United 2 Mickleover 1ft
Royston Town 2 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1 ft
Rushall Olympic 2 Stourbridge 0 ft

Others
Nottingham Forest 1 Crystal Palace 0 ft
Milton Keynes Dons 1 Derby County 3 ft
Rochdale 0 Mansfield Town 1 ft
Eastleigh 0 Notts County 2 ft
Alfreton Town 0 Bradford Park Avenue 0 ft
Buxton 0 Banbury United 4 ft
Hyde United 0 Matlock Town 1 ft
South Shields 2 Belper Town 1 ft
Carlton Town 1 Pontefract Collieries 0 ft
Shildon 2 Long Eaton United 2 ft
Gresley Rovers 0 Corby Town 3 ft

12/11/2022 9:32 PM  #37

Once again it's a defeat after a win. This defeat was very disappointing because we had far more of the ball than Nuneaton. But for all our possession we created very few real chances. Credit to Nuneaton for defending well and not allowing us many sightings of goal. We threw everything at Nuneaton in the second half but we produced very few shots at goal. 
I thought Henri Wilder had a decent debut and was unlucky to be booked for a tackle on the Nuneaton forward who blatantly over exaggerated his fall and pain which persuaded the referee to get out the yellow card. I thought Joe Wilson did well down the right and Dempsey Arlott-John did well on the other side when he came on in the second half. We just didn't test their keeper enough. Nuneaton are second in the league but we matched them all over the pitch except in goals and it's goals that win matches. We never looked like scoring but if we had have got one, then I think we might well have got another. 
Be interested to hear Jamie Ward's reaction.

13/11/2022 10:33 AM  #38

Sat 12th Nov 2022
Nuneaton Borough  2  Ilkeston Town  0
Despite having more possession, Ilkeston left Warwickshire pointless and disappointed after second placed Nuneaton won the game with two second half goals .
On seven minutes Montel Gibson found Chris O’Grady whose firm effort was beaten away by Tony Breeden. Gibson then had a shot deflected wide. Borough’s first chance came on 39 minutes when Max Grogan’s free kick took a deflection which wrong footed Ollie Battersby, but Ilkeston’s keeper managed to recover and save. Ilkeston pushed hard for an opening goal just before half time with Tope Obadeyi firing just wide and O’Grady’s effort being charged down.
Gibson had a big chance early in the second half but he couldn’t connect properly with Abadeyi’s cross and Breeden was able to save. This was followed by a Lamine Sherif shot which flew the wrong side of the post. Nuneaton went ahead on 60 minutes after a free kick which saw Henri Wilder booked rather harshly and Ryan Beswick’s cross scrambled in by Luke Benbow. Ilkeston hit back with a header from O’Grady saved by Breeden but soon it was 2-0 from another set piece when Scott McManus headed home from a left wing corner. Ilkeston made a real effort to rescue the game and Borough had a triple escape when Jack Thomas, Dempsey Arlott-John and Lamine Sherif all had shots blocked in quick succession. Nuneaton were being forced to defend but a counter attack saw Kane Richards nearly add a third when his low shot struck the base of the post. Ilkeston kept plugging away and had a penalty shout for a handball not spotted by the referee. Tyree Wilson almost bagged a late consolation but his effort was partially saved by Breedon then cleared off the line by Chris Cox.

13/11/2022 1:21 PM  #39

Only once have we recorded back to back league wins this season and that is why we’ve never been higher than mid-table. I keep talking about putting a run together in order to make a promotion challenge but the the other side of the coin is that we’re only 4 points above Kings Langley who are in a relegation place. No team is too good to be relegated so we have to turn decent performances into wins which is what we have failed to do so far. We’re finding it hard to create opportunities and score goals as evidenced by an otherwise good performance against Nuneaton but still ending in defeat.
Of course an ever charging lineup doesn’t help. We have a good quality squad but we need find our most effective side in order to bring about some consistency. 
We now have two home games against fellow strugglers Barwell and King Langley. Anything less than six points from these two games would be unsatisfactory. 

13/11/2022 9:37 PM  #40

Thought we matched well enough in the first half but in the second half i totally agree With Wardy`s interview as in they scored we didnt. We had a lot of the ball but just could get the final product. They were throwing bodies in everywhere in defence to keep us out in the second half. Should have had a penalty late in the second half where their player handle the ball on the ground , how the ref didnt see it god knows. The win flattered them really but if you dont score you cant win. Another thing that Jamie said it isnt good enough when you havent had a clean sheet this season in the league . Fans have been saying this for a while.. Yes we played well but no goals .
Got to say to positive things about the day one is .
The fans in both halves were brilliant in their support by singing majority of the time , even at the end they didnt stop ........absolute class .
the second thing was their head steward ! i didnt get his name but he was brilliant one of the best i ever have met . Very friendly and very helpful especially to our disabled fan and his carers he couldnt do enough for them he was a lovely guy . I told him this at half time and at full time .... And his reply ......."Theres no need to say thanks mate its just common sense "
Just sent an email to their club about this. 

Last edited by kevilsonlad (13/11/2022 9:51 PM)

14/11/2022 7:38 AM  #41

kevilsonlad wrote:

Thought we matched well enough in the first half but in the second half i totally agree With Wardy`s interview as in they scored we didnt. We had a lot of the ball but just could get the final product. They were throwing bodies in everywhere in defence to keep us out in the second half. Should have had a penalty late in the second half where their player handle the ball on the ground , how the ref didnt see it god knows. The win flattered them really but if you dont score you cant win. Another thing that Jamie said it isnt good enough when you havent had a clean sheet this season in the league . Fans have been saying this for a while.. Yes we played well but no goals .
Got to say to positive things about the day one is .
The fans in both halves were brilliant in their support by singing majority of the time , even at the end they didnt stop ........absolute class .
the second thing was their head steward ! i didnt get his name but he was brilliant one of the best i ever have met . Very friendly and very helpful especially to our disabled fan and his carers he couldnt do enough for them he was a lovely guy . I told him this at half time and at full time .... And his reply ......."Theres no need to say thanks mate its just common sense "
Just sent an email to their club about this. 

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Great post Kev  -  I wish we could get more people to post on here.  I have to agree that despite the result it was a good experience at Nuneaton. Our supporters were superb. The "Ilson away" singing at the start which went on for a good while was class and made it feel so good to be an Ilkeston fan. 

I thought we were the better side and had far more possession but as Jamie said it's goals that count. I hadn't realised that we hadn't kept a clean sheet. 

Looking ahead, Jamie hinted that he expects great things from Tyree Wilson when he gets up to speed so that's a positive to look  forward to. I'm a big fan of Dempsey Arlott-John because he's so direct and takes on the defenders, such a change from sideways passing and slow build up.

14/11/2022 9:39 AM  #42

Nuneaton's very brief match report

MATCH REPORT: NUNEATON 2-0 ILKESTON
BY OWEN JEPHCOT

Hard fought three points for the Boro
The full time score was 2-0 in the game at Liberty Way, with the low sun seemingly impacting proceedings early in the match, and throughout the first half, with wayward passes becoming a running theme of the half for both sides alike. Accompanied by very few chances throughout for either side.
In the second half there were definitely more opportunities, with the first Borough goal coming in the 58th minute with a Luke Benbow header which was palmed onto the underside of the crossbar and then over the line, following a set piece taken by Beswick.
The second of the game came from a excellent Maxwell Brogan corner onto the head of skipper Scott McManus who thundered the ball into the back of the net after a high leap above the defenders.
The game ended with the Borough seeing through the 2-0 scoreline until the final whistle. The game overall was well balanced between the sides however the Borough were the side who had a breakthrough. 
610 fans came down on the day to see the side take through a 2-0 victory and an important three points, with the Boroughs next game coming in the Birmingham Senior Cup against Aston Villa. 

Nuneaton Borough starting 11 (Substitutes):
13. Tony Breeden(GK)
3. Kane Richards
5. Joseph Magunda
6. Scott McManus(C) ⚽️ (Chris Cox)
7. Luke Benbow ⚽️ (Tyrell Waite)
10. Maxwell Brogan
11. Prince Mancinelli
18. Lathaniel Rowe-Turner
20. Isiah Osbourne
4. Ryan Beswick(Aaron Forde)

Match Report by Connor Burbidge

14/11/2022 12:13 PM  #43

i have emailed their secretary about their hospitality especially the head steward ......No reply as yet .
Plus going back to ilson fans singing it did make smile when the few Nuneaton fans who managed to sing "youre not singing any more" thren straight away the ilson fans started singing again .... brilliant.

14/11/2022 5:29 PM  #44

There are some fantastic and friendly club officials in non league football. When they come to Ilkeston they are always very impressed with our ground. I am always surprised with how well they take defeat if we have beaten their team and how humble they are if they have beaten us. The few who are a bit aggressively competitive tend not to speak to anyone so we don't have to worry about them. I get the impression when we travel away the behaviour of some of the home officials is not always has pleasant but ultimately that is their problem because they cannot be enjoying their football if it is making them angry.

Board footera