WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/5/2023 3:47 PM  #1

Jamie Ward adds two more, Both with Premier League experience

Ilkeston welcome new defender and first team coach
May 27, 2023We’re delighted to announce the arrivals of defender James Hurst and first team coach Lee Williamson. Hurst, 31, has vast experience at all levels of the game, having featured in the Premier League for West Bromwich Albion as well as throughout the Football League and National League with clubs including Chesterfield, Birmingham City, Telford and Wrexham.He has most recently enjoyed success at Buxton and Tamworth, playing alongside Robins player-boss Jamie Ward whilst with the Bucks.

Williamson, 40, also has huge experience at the higher levels of the game as well as internationally with Jamaica, for whom he won nine caps. He played extensively in the Football League with clubs including Mansfield Town, Northampton Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, Burton Albion and Blackburn Rovers, whilst also playing in the Premier League with Watford. He is now developing his career as a coach and will be a valuable asset to the Robins staff.

Of the new recruits, Ward said: “Having played with Hursty at Buxton I know what he’s capable of. He’s versatile and can play centre-half, right back or central midfield, although primarily he’s coming in as a centre-half. If we need him to fill in elsewhere he can do that.“He’s got good footballing experience and can only make our team better.
On Willo, he’s a young coach coming through his coaching development and another I played with when we were at Sheffield United and Burton.“We kept in touch along the way and he has good footballing experience including in the Premier League and internationally, so it’s always nice to have someone with good football knowledge come on board and help myself and Jeppo out.” 

27/5/2023 5:21 PM  #2

Re: Jamie Ward adds two more, Both with Premier League experience

Well I am happy with the two signings as such I am a little tad curious why Hurst hasn't played much last season . Or have I got that wrong .

27/5/2023 6:41 PM  #3

Looks like he was on a contract at Tamworth last season but only played 3 times?

27/5/2023 8:04 PM  #4

According to Tamworth' s website:
 In the 22-23 season;  James Hurst made just 2 starts, 3 substitute appearances and was an unused sub on 4 occasions.      
https://www.tamworthfc.co.uk/mens/1st-team-squad-202223-playing-stats

According to Wikipedia, Hurst signed for Tamworth 18 January 22 and in the remainder of the 21-22 season he made 17 appearances and scored 4 goals. He played for Buxton before joining Tamworth and made 24 appearances and scored twice.

So after being a Tamworth regular choice up until the end of the 21-22 season why did Hurst feature so little in the 22-23 season? Was he injured?

Last edited by Matchman (28/5/2023 4:38 AM)

28/5/2023 1:40 PM  #5

Matchman wrote:

According to Tamworth' s website:
 In the 22-23 season;  James Hurst made just 2 starts, 3 substitute appearances and was an unused sub on 4 occasions.      
https://www.tamworthfc.co.uk/mens/1st-team-squad-202223-playing-stats

According to Wikipedia, Hurst signed for Tamworth 18 January 22 and in the remainder of the 21-22 season he made 17 appearances and scored 4 goals. He played for Buxton before joining Tamworth and made 24 appearances and scored twice.

So after being a Tamworth regular choice up until the end of the 21-22 season why did Hurst feature so little in the 22-23 season? Was he injured?

I ask that very question to a Tamworth fan i got to know , he said the manager just didnt pick him for some reason. The Tamworth fan rated him highly though. 
When he was at Buxton was the 24 app for the season or part ?

28/5/2023 2:59 PM  #6

kevilsonlad wrote:

Matchman wrote:

I ask that very question to a Tamworth fan i got to know , he said the manager just didnt pick him for some reason. The Tamworth fan rated him highly though. 
When he was at Buxton was the 24 app for the season or part ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

This is what i found from Buxton's records:

In the Covid curtailed 2020-21 season Hurst played in 10 of the 11 matches Buxton played.  (These appearances don’t show up because the season's records were expunged).
In the following season 2021-22 (Buxton’s promotion winning season) Hurst played in 24 matches from August ‘21until 18th January ‘22 when he signed for Tamworth. That suggests that he was a regular choice at Buxton all the time he was there. 
When Tamworth signed him they thought highly enough of him to give him a contract until the end of the following 22-23 season.

Last edited by Matchman (28/5/2023 3:19 PM)

28/5/2023 7:16 PM  #7

If you do a bit of research on Wikipedia you will find he’s a colourful character off the field which usually suits us fine! He’s got quality on the pitch which can’t be denied!

29/5/2023 6:06 AM  #8

We've only made three new signings so far but they all look like good ones. We needed to sort out the goalkeeping situation to give us some stability and we appear to have done that with the acquisition of Matt Yates from Gainsborough. Trinity were very sorry to lose him and their loss is our gain.We know what we’re getting with Jordan Hallam and the latest signing James Hurst looks to be a good one. Certainly Jamie Ward thinks so. Hurst appeared to have fell out of favour at Tamworth under manager Andy Peaks but before that he was a star player at Buxton. Jamie is right to take his time choosing the players he thinks will be right for the club and the dressing room. Martin Carruthers made a lot of early signings last season and for whatever reason, they didn't work out for him.

Board footera