WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/9/2023 7:56 PM  #1

Basford Club Statement

CLUB STATEMENT: STEVE KITTRICK AND CHRIS MUNROE
Marc Williams.   16 Sep

Basford United can confirm the departure of Steve Kittrick by mutual consent and owner and chairman, Chris Munroe, has stepped down with immediate effect. Assistant manager Luke Potter will take interim charge of the first team alongside coach Richard Lawrence. Commenting, Munroe said: “I am greatly disappointed to let Steve go after just 18 games in charge across two seasons, but our start this time round has left a lot to be desired and has fallen massively short of my expectations, and we, as a club, made too many mistakes this summer. 
“However, the failure of the first team ultimately rests with me. I take full responsibility and, therefore, I will be relinquishing day-to-day involvement within my business, Basford United FC Limited, and will be advertising for a new chairman. 
“For the foreseeable future, I will remain as majority owner until either the club is sold, or I decide what I want to do from an ownership standpoint of a group of businesses that turnover £400k per annum. A new replacement 3G, initially scheduled for 2024, will still go ahead.
“For total assurance to our players, staff, and fans, there will be no imminent changes to my financial commitments and the sole objective for 2023-24 is to maintain our Step 3 status.
“For further clarity, all other areas of Basford United FC, including the academy, youth, and junior sections, as well as all commercial-related activities remain as is and will continue their unbelievable growth paths and I will remain as trustee of the CIC section until a new figurehead is found. 
“Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has supported me over a wonderful 16 years at this great football club. It has been truly amazing and there have been so many brilliant memories and we, as a family, have made so many friends, and have met some wonderful colleagues along the way.
“My exit was always in the pipeline, and it was such a shame we could not complete my one last wish of promotion to the National League, but it proved a bridge too far. I will forever remember those five promotions and vast numbers of cup successes over my tenure.

17/9/2023 1:02 PM  #2

Re: Basford Club Statement

This statement smacks of petulance a bit. I know Chris Munro has built Basford up with his own money and without they would be still playing in the lower reaches of the Notts Senior League but to say he is stepping down is a bit far fetched. He owns the club so until he sells he cannot really step down. I remember him making a similar statement maybe a year ago but he was unfortunate to find another investor who tragically passed away before getting into the role and he is still there. It must be difficult to let go if it’s your life’s work. It’s almost like he is waiting for the fans to beg him to stay. Unfortunately this tactic may show the crux of the problem at Basford in that they don’t really have a fan base big enough or vocal enough to make any difference. I feel for all the staff who still work and volunteer at Basford because unless they find a money man with deep pockets their days looked numbered. I really hope I am wrong!
Nottinghamshire non league seems to be a bit of a basket case when you consider the likes of Eastwood Town, `Hucknall Town, Gedling Town, Sutton Town,  Arnold Town, Retford Town, Kimberley Town, Newark Flowserve and Rainworth MW all at one time or another massive teams now either gone or struggling to stay relevant. It would be interesting for peoples thoughts on why this has happened.

17/9/2023 5:02 PM  #3

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of miss fits

18/9/2023 3:38 PM  #4

Unfortunately for Chris Munroe, the chance of anyone wanting to take over the ownership of Basford United is a slim one. To take over any non league club requires someone with deep pockets and in Basford's case the potential for future success seems limited. They are an established club but totally reliant on the owner ploughing money in to keep them afloat. As a step 3 team they have always been poorly supported. Attendances at Greenwich Avenue are just too low to finance a team capable of competing at this level. Chris Munroe has done really well to take this club as far as he has but I feel they have now reached their peak. 

19/9/2023 9:24 PM  #5

19/9/2023 9:27 PM  #6

Wow, that certainly took me by surprise. I never expected that.

Board footera