WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/9/2023 6:15 AM  #61

Re: Sat 23 Sep 23 : Lancaster City v Ilkeston Town : KO 3pm

Sat 23 September 2023
Northern Premier League
Lancaster City  0. Ilkeston Town  4
Ilkeston travelled to second in the table Lancaster hopeful of gleaning a point but when Tyrell Waite received an early red card for what looked like the most innocuous of offences their chances of taking anything from the fixture plummeted. But the setback galvanised the remaining players and one of the best results with a player short was to follow. Despite everything thrown at them, Ilkeston produced a magnificent defensive performance and a hat-trick by Jamie Walker saw them take all three points. 
The game started at a fast pace. A Walker effort was diverted for a corner then at the other end ilkeston were rescued by Henri Wilder’s last ditch tackle, A terrific effort by Luke Cox was just too high then Sam Parker’s shot hit a City defender on the line before Walker put Ilkeston ahead on 15 minutes. Ilkeston’s great start seemed to be undone when Waite retaliated after being fouled by flicking a boot in the direction of a City player and was shown a red card. Lancaster seized the initiative but Ilkeston might have been awarded a penalty when Zak Goodson went down under challenge in the area following a counter attack. City were then guilty of a glaring miss when Jake Connelly intercepted a back pass, took the ball past Ilkeston keeper Matt Yates but then put the ball wide. They were immediately punished by Walker’s superb second goal on 34 minutes. This brought a real reaction from the hosts but Ilkeston held out until half time.
Lancaster’s intense pressure continued after the break but it was Ilkeston who scored again following another counter attack which ended with Connor Dixon being tripped in the area and Walker dispatching the penalty on 62 minutes. City still didn’t relent and kept pressing but Ilkeston’s defenders were blocking all of their attempts, It was only after L’Varn Brandy made it 4-0 on 74 minutes that the Ilkeston fans felt the game was won. Walker was involved again providing the pass for Brandy to finish. Despite the scoreline, Lancaster kept up their intense pressure until the end but Ilkeston’s defence wasn’t to be breached.

Last edited by Matchman (24/9/2023 6:31 AM)

24/9/2023 8:26 AM  #62

Unless there was something I missed, Tyrell Waite’s dismissal was for what seemed like the most trivial of offences. What I saw was a minor act of retaliation which consisted of the flicking of a bootlace in the direction of an opponent who was nowhere near him. Surely that didn’t deserve a red card. 
Anyway, out of adversity came knowledge that we can defend a lead and score on the break. The whole team deserve praise for pulling off a remarkable victory against a very good team.

Last edited by Matchman (24/9/2023 8:28 AM)

24/9/2023 11:00 AM  #63

Lancaster Manager's reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jcsDFpmzY

24/9/2023 4:28 PM  #64

24/9/2023 7:24 PM  #65

Brief highlights (not the best quality). You won't be any the wiser as to why Waite got sent off.

https://youtu.be/g4pL0x_E_E4?si=NX3ItOAmgCNLDShM

25/9/2023 8:46 AM  #66

I don't think anyone has mentioned Luke Cox. He just gets on with his job winning all the high balls. I thought he was excellent.

25/9/2023 8:52 AM  #67

Trowell Nicky wrote:

Brief highlights (not the best quality). You won't be any the wiser as to why Waite got sent off.

He must have said something to the ref. Thats the only thing I can think of

25/9/2023 10:13 AM  #68

I had a quick word with Tyrell and he said he'd been sent off for 'kicking out'. He said he hadn't done anything wrong. I wonder if we'll appeal?

Agree about Luke Cox. Dominant in the air. Cox and Fenton were excellent against Basford and Perch and Cox were excellent against Lancaster (don't know if Fenton's back tomorrow night but surely you can't drop Perch or Cox after that performance?). You have to give MoM to a player who scores 3 and gets an assist on the other, but Luke Cox wasn't far behind Jamie for me. It was one of those games where everyone seemed to play well.

I love this 'bodies on the line' attitude, it was such a committed defensive performance. We must be doing something right, we haven't conceded a goal for two and a half games. The problem tomorrow night might be in scoring goals - Macclesfield have only conceded 6 goals in 8 league games, and 3 of those were in the game against Lancaster.

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (25/9/2023 10:16 AM)

25/9/2023 9:18 PM  #69

Trowell Nicky wrote:

That fourth goal that Brandy scored was absolute brilliance from Walker and Brandy .Brandy was like an road runner coming from absolutely no where to end up scoring from a brilliant run and pass by walker . BRILLIANT 

26/9/2023 6:47 AM  #70

Pitching In @PitchingIn_ 
A string of superb performances across @NorthernPremLg action and the FA Trophy sees these four teams nominated for #PitchingInTOTW  

In the Premier Division, @ilkestontown_fc had an away day to savour as Jamie Walker's hat-trick led them to a 4-0 win at Lancaster City

Last edited by Matchman (26/9/2023 6:52 AM)

Board footera