WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/9/2023 8:20 AM  #1

Spare a thought ...

For Cheltenham Town fans. These are the results of their 9 league games so far …

Shrewsbury away              lost 1-0
Bolton home                      lost 3-0
Reading away                   lost 1-0
Portsmouth away              drew 0-0
Northampton home           lost 1-0
Barnsley home                  lost 2-0
Exeter away                      lost 1-0
Peterborough away           lost 3-0
Stevenage home               lost 3-0

Played 9, drawn 1 lost 8. Goals scored 0, goals conceded 15. Can you imagine, watching your team play 9 times and not see them score a goal? It’s now (not surprisingly) officially the longest run without scoring a goal at the start of a season in EFL history.

They also lost 2-0 to Birmingham in the first round of the Carabao Cup. They did score against Bristol Rovers in a 4-1 defeat in the EFL Trophy, but, you’ve guessed it, it was an own goal. So in the 11 games they’ve played this season, no Cheltenham Town player has scored a goal. Quite remarkable. They’ve got Lincoln away this Saturday, before playing second-bottom Fleetwood at home next Tuesday.

28/9/2023 8:55 AM  #2

Re: Spare a thought ...

We where talking about this yesterday at work. The point they have is against top of the league portsmouth

29/9/2023 7:01 PM  #3

Some of you will know I'm Cheltenham... so thank you for the sympathetic 'headline'.
We have just bought in Daryl Clark as manager - and with a very good response from fans. Having seen us at Exeter a few weeks back I'm still a bit (VERY) concerned. My next game (as a promise to my I'lson born Derby supporting son) is Chelt-v-Derby (if he can get the time off...).

Myself... I am not that optimistic just now - and this next away game will certainly cost me much more...!

If he's off - It's got to be done though...

Last edited by plymrob (29/9/2023 7:05 PM)

29/9/2023 8:05 PM  #4

Just as a reminder... I was with Ilkeston at the original 'velodrome' Manor Ground but later, also, at Ilson -v- Chelt for that one (worrying to me) but generally glorious season... Also Leek-Chelt (0-0). 

Chelt having a poor one this tim around, but, for me, we will always struggle to be a better than a solid League One side. Let's think Leek? Where are they now?

Excluding financial interventions - Ilkeston - for me - (and probably a few failed past investors) could maybe make League Two... You have great football support and maybe a better proximity to Derby & Notts!

If Burton can do it - and,back then, they were in that same league... (and, please, let's forget Gresley!) ...

On White Ball - we need to 'relegate' Matlock, Buxton and Alfreton soonest to the second list...! The Millership and Alexander days were pretty special - but so too, mostly, either side of that... And I'm thinking - some good, if financially flawed, times since too...

17/10/2023 7:35 AM  #5

After nine straight defeats, AFC Rushden & Diamonds picked up their first points of the season on Saturday with a home win against Coleshill. Rushden were relegated from the Southern Premier Central last season and placed in the NPL Midlands Division.

Board footera