WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/1/2024 2:10 PM  #1

Margetts departs Matlock

Margetts departs for Linnets

Posted on 19 January 2024

Striker Jonathon Margetts has left the club to join National League North side King’s Lynn Town.
Margetts, 30, has been in outstanding form since re-joining the club last summer, scoring 33 goals in 30 games this season – that figure recently adjusted officially to 28 in 28 after the records from matches against Marske United were expunged.
The Linnets have offered Margetts the chance to return to full-time football and Gladiators boss Martin Carruthers explained he was offered a package with which the club couldn’t compete, and that Margetts deserves the chance to play at a higher level once again.
He said: “I’m absolutely gutted to be losing the services of Margs. He’s had an unbelievable season for us with his goals and contribution to the side. He’ll be irreplaceable.
“He’s turned down a lot of interest this season and had been loyal, but this opportunity was too good to reject – to go back full-time doing something he loves was something he and his family couldn’t refuse, and we certainly couldn’t compete with that offer.
“It’s a sad day for everyone involved with Matlock Town FC but we have to respect his wishes and we can’t stand in any player’s way when opportunities like this come along. We wish him well and I hope he goes and smashes it.“That’s football and the level we’re working at and we have to be positive, dust ourselves down and try and get three points on Saturday.
Everyone at Matlock Town FC wishes to thank Jonathon for his terrific impact at the club and we wish him every success in the future.

19/1/2024 3:25 PM  #2

Re: Margetts departs Matlock

couldnt see him lasting the season with his scoring abillity ..

19/1/2024 8:56 PM  #3

Re: Margetts departs Matlock

He seems to like moving clubs on a regular basis. Has signed for King's Lynn which does not to me show a great deal of ambition! He is however now 30 and although a prolific scorer he may have moved for bigger better offer!

Board footera