WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/4/2016 9:50 PM  #1

Ilkeston's new Head Coach

After tonight's surprising announcement that Andy Watson has left the Club, there will be an announcement tomorrow regarding his successor.

21/4/2016 7:28 AM  #2

Re: Ilkeston's new Head Coach

Names mentioned on social media include Ryan Hindley, Steve Welsh and Glenn Kirkwood! Whoever gets the job will have an interesting time mixing youth with a few experienced players. As it appears to be being announced today I doubt Ryan will be appointed as he has a full time job in IT. I believe Steve Welsh must then be favourite.

21/4/2016 9:02 AM  #3

I agree Steve Welsh must be the favourite because he's already at the Club and I know Nigel Harrop has been impressed with his work with the Academy teams.

21/4/2016 9:29 PM  #4

25/4/2016 6:38 PM  #5

Congratulations on your appointment. I never expected that but it's a no brainer. Can't wait for next season.

28/4/2016 5:36 PM  #6

Ryan is fast becoming the fans choice! Can't see Nigel wanting to interview candidates from his hospital bed so I can't see much happening for a few weeks yet!

29/4/2016 9:16 AM  #7

I thought a decision had been made and I expected the announcement to be made quickly. This has not happened so maybe there has been a change of mind or more options have become available. Or maybe the Club are just letting the dust settle as there is no urgency at the moment. 

29/4/2016 3:32 PM  #8

A lot of supporters are getting behind Vespa with his Ryan Hindley campaign but I think it would be too much of a risk for him.  If you had a choice between Ryan Hindley and say Neil Warnock who would you choose?

29/4/2016 4:14 PM  #9

All I'm suggesting is that there may be more suitable people out there.  In my opinion what we need is someone with Football League or Conference experience as a player and as a manager. Someone who is experienced at working with young players and preferably someone fairly local who understands what Ilkeston Football Club is about.

01/5/2016 8:44 AM  #10

Will Ilkeston do the same as Mickleover Sports and appoint a player manager? Mickleover have appointed John McGrath who was also a coach at the Club. They took the unusual step of not inviting applicants for the vacant post because they were so impressed with McGrath's vision for taking the Club forward.
Mickleover escaped the drop from the NPL Premier Division by the skin of their teeth. If they hadn't won at Ilkeston they would have been relegated.

Last edited by Matchman (01/5/2016 8:49 AM)

01/5/2016 1:00 PM  #11

A player manager makes as long as he has an assistant on the bench! If you are going down that road you are looking for an ambitious  28-34 year old with coaching badges! Any suggestions!

01/5/2016 2:19 PM  #12

Someone like Darren Caskey six years ago. He was a  brilliant coach and so influential when he played but I doubt if we could be so lucky as to get someone of his calibre again.

01/5/2016 8:30 PM  #13

In my opinion, Darren Caskey in the team was a major reason we achieved promotion under Kevin Wilson in our first year. Darren and Kevin were a great combination.

05/5/2016 4:41 AM  #14

After lessons learned last season, changes are planned for next season which should bring back success on the field and will please many fans. 

07/5/2016 8:28 AM  #15

Some of the changes that supporters have been crying out for are likely to happen under the new head coach.

Last edited by Matchman (07/5/2016 8:30 AM)

24/5/2016 5:13 PM  #16

Matchman wrote:

All I'm suggesting is that there may be more suitable people out there.  In my opinion what we need is someone with Football League or Conference experience as a player and as a manager. Someone who is experienced at working with young players and preferably someone fairly local who understands what Ilkeston Football Club is about.

Paul Holland fits the above criteria exactly!

Board footera