WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/6/2016 8:48 AM  #1

Pre season optimism

Following the appointment of Paul Holland as Head Coach and the three experienced signings so far, I'm optimistic that we could have a good season and be challenging for the playoffs. We will need to hit the ground running and get off to a decent start. We now have a strong spine with Durrant, Foster and Hearn. Our younger players should improve as they get stronger and benefit from the experienced players around them. I'm looking for key players like Gordon, Baker and Williams to firmly establish themselves as consistent performers. This could be a big season for Luis Rose who finished last season looking a very good prospect and In my opinion Haydn Goddard has every chance of becoming a top player. I also think that forwards Dexter Atkinson, David Jones and Roy Lee have a chance of establishing themselves next season. If Liam Hearn can score us 20 goals we've got to be in with a good chance of a successful campaign. 

09/6/2016 8:15 PM  #2

Re: Pre season optimism

According to Paul Holland at the forum, there are more new signings to come. Nineteen year old Mark Shelton has signed from Burton Albion today and another signing will be unveiled tomorrow. Apparently we're trying to sign another goalscorer so it seems to me like we're having a real tilt at getting promotion this coming season. On the down side there is some doubt over whether Michael Williams will stay. Lets hope he does as all the fans love him.

10/6/2016 8:33 AM  #3

I think it was Liam Hearn who said it suddenly becomes easier for a Club to sign up good players when they see that other good players have moved there. All players like to play in a successful team with a chance of winning something. Another thing that was said at the forum was that we will try to win every game and always play our best team in all competitions. There has to be some squad rotation to give all players an opportunity and to encourage fierce competition for places. After speaking to several supporters there now seems to be genuine optimism for the season ahead. 

10/6/2016 6:16 PM  #4

It's brilliant that most supporters are feeling optimistic and really looking forward to the start of the 2016/17 season. Even Vespa is not too proud to give credit for the way things are developing. 

11/6/2016 6:44 AM  #5

Vespa's response on the other forum:
How dare he say: EVEN VESPA!. I have always given credit and praise to the squad and always will. It's the lying filth of a regime that needs developing.

Sorry you took offence at my last post Paul. It goes without saying that you have always supported the team, everyone knows that. My point was that the Club's model (under the same ownership) has now been modified in a way that pleases most supporters and you yourself have made positive posts following the fans forum.

Last edited by Matchman (11/6/2016 6:50 AM)

12/6/2016 8:25 PM  #6

After Ilkeston reached the final of the May'15 NPL playoffs, supporters were confident of a good next season. It was not to be as many players left in the close season and new players came in. We are now in a similar position with new players (who we have not seen play) coming in to strengthen the team of young players that ended the 2015/16 season. With a new team it takes time to gel but hopefully this will start to happen in the pre season friendlies and by the first league game we should have a better idea of how we will do. If we're home the first Saturday then we will be away in midweek then away again the following Saturday. If we're away the first Saturday it will be followed by two home games. The Evo-Stik Northern Premier League AGM is next Saturday. 

13/6/2016 1:18 PM  #7

Ilkeston look like losing one of last year's team.

Last edited by Matchman (13/6/2016 2:47 PM)

13/6/2016 3:32 PM  #8

Is that Willo or Jordan Wheatley?

15/6/2016 7:19 AM  #9

There should be a Club announcement shortly.

15/6/2016 7:34 PM  #10

Re. Next season's fixtures : In the four bank holiday games, Ilkeston will play Mickleover home and away and Matlock home and away.

27/6/2016 6:06 PM  #11

Latest player to re-sign for Ilkeston is Haydn Goddard.
Haydn established himself in the first team last season and is one of our most promising youngsters.

Last edited by Matchman (27/6/2016 8:10 PM)

27/6/2016 10:52 PM  #12

Liam Hearn and Luke Foster were at the ground today in preparation for their coaching roles. Players will report back for training very soon. 

30/6/2016 1:08 PM  #13

As always the staff and players were full of optimism at the first training session. This season is different to last in as much as there are quite a few faces from the previous year. I think the young lads who ended up playing in the first team last season will benefit from that experience. We also have more height in the squad now and experienced Luke Foster and Liam Hearn are raring to go. 

Board footera