WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/7/2016 8:45 PM  #1

Northern Premier League this year

Just been looking at the teams in our league this coming season. Every team will be optimistic so it's imperative that we get off to a good start. We can expect the usual challengers to be there again i.e. Ashton, Blyth and Workington.
Stourbridge, Barwell, Buxton, Rushall and Nantwich did well last season but can they repeat their form into next season? There are six new teams; Coalville, Corby, Hednesford, Spennymoor, Stafford and Warrington. It's very difficult to predict who will be the front runners before the season starts. There's usually a surprise package like Frickley were last season.
 I expect the following teams to do well (in alphabetical order):
      Ashton Utd
      Blyth Spartans
      Nantwich  
      Warrington
      Workington 
I'm guessing that these five will be the main obstacles to Ilkeston getting into the playoff positions. Usually teams that make a good start grow in confidence and do well. Not always the case as Skelmersdale have shown in the past but obviously if you get a bad start it's hard to recover.  
Stourbridge have lost their star striker, Karl Hawley but they still have a strong side. Spennymoor and Stafford Rangers could be dark horses and I don't know much about Corby or Hednesford.
I wonder if any of our rivals are expecting a strong promotion challenge from Ilkeston?

07/8/2016 2:41 PM  #2

Re: Northern Premier League this year

According to BET365 and BETWAY, Ilkeston are not expected to make much of a challenge to win the league. Both offer 33/1 against Ilkeston. Blyth Spartans are favourites according to BETWAY (5/1)and Hednesford are favourites according to BET365 (5/1). Spennymoor 8/1 and 6/1, Ashton 9/1 and 7/1 and Workington 9/1 and 8/1 are also short odds with both betting companies. Next come Stourbridge and Warrington. 
The biggest outsiders are Mickleover, Whitby, Matlock, Marine and Grantham. This may be an indication of who they think are relegation candidates.
Stafford Rangers are 14/1 and 16/1 indicating that Ilkeston have a tough test in their first home league game. Whitby away on Tuesday night should be easier but we don't always do well there. How we play at Stourbridge the following Saturday will be a real measure as to whether we are likely to be challenging for promotion this season.

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2016 7:45 PM)

12/8/2016 9:57 PM  #3

Re: Northern Premier League this year

It's very disappointing that the Evo-stik Northern Premier League decided not to lift the suspension of IFC in time for Saturday's fixture against Stafford Rangers to go ahead. The Club made strenuous efforts to meet their criteria for removal of the suspension but apparently it was to no avail. 

Board footera