WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/7/2019 7:54 AM  #1

Ilkeston Town v Solihull Moors (Sat 20 Jul - ko 1pm) - Live updates

After the 0-5 trouncing against Notts County which I missed, the Robins continue their pre-season preparations in a 1pm kickoff at the NMG.
Ilkeston can certainly expect another stern test, this time against National League side Solihull Moors who only just missed out on promotion to the Football League last season when they finished runners up and just three points behind promoted Leyton Orient.
If Solihull Moors send their strongest team, it could easily be another friendly drubbing unless the Robins can raise their game significantly although the return of star man Elliott Reeves to the Ilkeston team is an unexpected plus. 
My prediction is a 1-4 defeat. 
Team news will be around 12 15 pm and there will be regular match updates here from 1 pm.

20/7/2019 12:06 PM  #2

Re: Ilkeston Town v Solihull Moors (Sat 20 Jul - ko 1pm) - Live updates

It's kickoff time.
Ilkeston team:
1 Brandon Ganley, 2 Lavell White, 3 Jamie Walker, 4 Courtney Richards, 5 Tom Marshall, 6 Mitch Robinson, 7 Reco Fyfe, 8 Jermain Hollis, 9 Elliott Reeves, 10 Alex Marshall, 11 Blair Anderson.
 Subs 12 Jermain Palmer, 13 Rich Stainsby, 14 Fabian Smith, 15 Massiah McDonald, 16 Kevin Bastos, 17 Ross Palmer,18 Jordan Nadat, 19 Reegan Poole, 20 NathanielAppiah.

Early goal for Solihull.   0-1

20/7/2019 12:14 PM  #3

Good powerful header by Stenson is well saved by Ganley on 8 minutes.  Solihull are retaining possession and doing the pressing. Good defensive work by Blair Anderson as the rain comes down. Top save by Ganley as Ilkeston defend against relentless Solihull attacks.          0-1      13 minutes

20/7/2019 12:21 PM  #4

Moors are much quicker to the ball. Another good save by Ganley.  Ilkeston's defence is being tested. Nothing up front from Ilkeston so far. Good punch out by Ganley under severe pressure. Fine second Solihull goal by Carline.         0-2      20 minutes

20/7/2019 12:26 PM  #5

It's one way traffic as Solihull continue to dominate. Reeves tries to get Ilkeston forward but the move ends.  Corner to Ilkeston on the right. Tom Marshall heads goalwards but keeper collects.      0-2    25 minutes

20/7/2019 12:34 PM  #6

Ganley is racking up the saves. It's teeming down and players are slipping. Solihull look dangerous every attack. Header comes back off the crossbar. McDonald guilty of nasty looking foul but gets away with a telling off.          0-2     33 minutes.

(Apologies to Jordan Nadat who I previously named by mistake.  It was McDonald who was wearing the Ilkeston No 18 shirt and Nadat was down as No 18 on the team sheet)

Last edited by Matchman (21/7/2019 10:01 AM)

20/7/2019 12:35 PM  #7

3-0   Brilliant header by Stenson following the free kick.        0-3   34 minutes

20/7/2019 12:46 PM  #8

At last a decent spell of Ilkeston possession. Good while it lasted but Solihull are now back in control. Corner for Ilkeston after good mov. Keeper tips over for another corner which Solihull clear. Reeves brought down on wide edge of area. Solihull eventually clear. That was Ilkeston's best period.      0-3      44 minutes 

20/7/2019 12:48 PM  #9

It's half time 
Ilkeston   0   Solihull Moors  3

20/7/2019 1:10 PM  #10

Five minutes into the second half and it's still 0-3.

20/7/2019 1:17 PM  #11

Good defending by Courtney Richards.  Then Richards gets a shot in but it's blocked.  Robinson has to concede a corner. Richards plays Palmer in but unfortunately,an offside flag is raised. 0-3      58 minutes

20/7/2019 1:28 PM  #12

Solihull forward gets past Ganley but fires wide. The game is more even this half but with Solihull still the better side.
Another McDonald foul leaves the Solihull players enraged.   It's a red card for Massiah McDonald who is claiming that he got the ball. I think he may have talked himself into the dismissal after protesting too much .         0-3      70 minutes

(Again my apologies to Jordan Nadat who I previously named by mistake.  It was McDonald who was wearing the Ilkeston No 18 shirt and Nadat was down as No 18 on the team sheet)

Last edited by Matchman (21/7/2019 10:01 AM)

20/7/2019 1:31 PM  #13

4th goal for Solihull  by Kyle Storer     0-4       72 minutes

20/7/2019 1:39 PM  #14

Reco is trying to get Ilkeston going forward but Solihull defenders are in charge. Mistake by Moors keeper gifts Ilkeston a corner but it comes to nothing.        0-4     80 minutes

20/7/2019 1:47 PM  #15

Solihull continue to dominate. Ilkeston are finding it difficult to get out of their half. Only Reco looks capable of creating something. Solihull shot thuds against the bar.        0-4     87 minutes

20/7/2019 1:50 PM  #16

Courtney Richards cross nearly turned in.  Nearest Ilkeston have been to a goal.
That's full time   :
.Ilkeston Town  0  Solihull Moors  4

20/7/2019 3:40 PM  #17

Solihull were far too good for Ilkeston especially in the first half which they totally dominated. Ilkeston struggled to create a single chance whereas Brandon Ganley was constantly in action keeping out wave after wave of Solihull attacks. Ilkeston did a little better in the second half possession-wise but still couldn't carve out any decent scoring opportunities. Only Reco Fyfe looked capable of creating anything going forward. There were some good touches from Courtney Richards and Mitch Robinson had a fair game in defence but the scoreline could have been far worse

21/7/2019 10:43 AM  #18

1st time I have seen the new look Ilkeston side. I know from the start it wasn't a match we were going to win but I must say I was happy with what I saw.

The new keeper not sure on him might have to watch him a couple more times. I think we are missing a centre half or 2, midfield look OK as did our forward line. With the squad we have at the moment I can't see why not we can't finish in mid-table.

21/7/2019 12:40 PM  #19

I worry that these big defeats may damage our confidence. With Telford, Basford and Grantham to come we may go into the FA Cup game on the back of five consecutive defeats. 

21/7/2019 8:46 PM  #20

Match report
Sat 20th July 2019
Ilkeston Town  0 Solihull Moors  4
This was always going to be a severe test for Ilkeston against a side who narrowly missed out on promotion to the Football League last season. Moors finished runners up in the National League just three points behind Leyton Orient who were promoted. Solihull dominated from the start and took the lead after only two minutes through Danny Wright after Brandon Ganley’s partial save fell kindly to him. On 7 minutes Ganley produced a fine save from a powerful header by Matt Stenson as the rain started to come down heavily. On 15 minutes Ganley made another super save from another excellent header but 5 minutes later Solihull scored a superb second. Jamie Osbourne broke free down the left and his cross was swept in first time by George Carline. Then came Ilkeston’s only first half effort on goal when Tom Marshall’s header from a corner was saved by Ryan Boot. On 30 minutes Moors nearly struck again but the fierce header rattled the crossbar. Two minutes later they did score following a free kick. Massiah McDonald committed the foul and when the resultant cross came over Stenson converted with a strong header. As half time approached Ilkeston had a reasonable spell of possession but without creating an opportunity. The second half began more evenly and Courtney Richards had a shot blocked in the box by a Solihull defender. Richards was then involved again when he slid an excellent ball through to Jermain Palmer but the flag was raised for a borderline offside. On the hour Dan Sweeney managed to wriggle past Ganley but put the ball wide. On 71 minutes Massiah McDonald was dismissed for a tackle which angered the Solihull players . Despite his protests McDonald saw red and Solihull immediately scored again with another outstanding finish, Kyle Storer drilling home from the edge of the area. It was nearly 5-0 when Ilkeston’s crossbar was again left shaking before Ilkeston nearly pulled one back when Richards broke free down the left and crossed invitingly but no one could get a touch on it for a consolation goal.  

My man of the match was Matt Stenson (Solihull Moors striker)
The player voted Ilkeston man of the match was Reco Fyfe.

Last edited by Matchman (21/7/2019 8:56 PM)

Board footera