WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/8/2019 10:33 AM  #1

Opening League match v Cleethorpes Town

Our season opener is a tough one against the favourites to win the league, Cleethorpes Town.  The Owls are a well-supported team and will be bringing plenty of fans to the NMG. It's going to be a cracking match and hopefully a 700 plus gate. 

09/8/2019 9:13 AM  #2

Re: Opening League match v Cleethorpes Town

Sat 10th August, Cleethorpes play their final pre-season friendly at Gainsborough Trinity. This is a tough one for them before they begin the season proper at Ilkeston. The Ilkeston v Cleethorpes opening league match will give an indication of what sort of season lies ahead for Ilkeston because Cleethorpes are the bookmaker's favourites to win the title and they will be confident of getting off to a good start. Let's hope that we can surprise them. 

09/8/2019 8:53 PM  #3

got one beer already ordered for this game plus hoping to get another .

12/8/2019 7:23 PM  #4

Cleethorpes Town got a creditable goalless draw against Gainsborough on Saturday so they're all set to go and are confident about their league opener against Ilkeston at the NMG. The Robins should be able to field a stronger side than the one that lost to Loughborough University but it's going to be a real test. Ilkeston's defeat at Loughborough will have added to the Cleethorpes win expectancy. Ilkeston need to bounce back in a big way and it will take a far better performance if they are to get any sort of result but with the NMG crowd behind them, anything is possible.  

Cleethorpes lined up against Gainsborough as follows:
In Goal   :  Theo Richardson
Defence :  Tim Lowe, Ben Clappison, Oli Donald, Jon Oglesby
Midfield  :  Jack Richardson, Alex Flett (c), Ben Davies, Brandon Buckley
Attack    :  Brody Robertson, Josh Batty
Subs      :  Adam Millson, Jack Boswell, Lewis Collins, Jack Fixter, Andy Taylor

Last edited by Matchman (12/8/2019 7:32 PM)

12/8/2019 10:24 PM  #5

sorry but I think we will get well beat this sat , why ? Well because apparently we a have a defender and a midfielder from step 2 and 3 signing this week( as of yet no names) , and I cant see them being match fit. Plus if they get thrown in for the sat game they wont know our players at all. I suppose this has to happen but it does seem we are playing pre season all over again starting with the favourites for the league . Not saying we wont be good enough in this league but I think the other teams will have a good head start over us …….
By the way I ve got two real ales on for the game , Infinity from the Blue Monkey brewery and Solar storm from the Aurora brewery . god I spoil you lot . Enjoy I know I will .

14/8/2019 7:13 AM  #6

You make some good points Kev but I don't think that we had any choice but to try to strengthen the team. Last Saturday it seemed like everything that could go wrong did do; only two fit substitutes, Lavell injured early on, possible goal disallowed then Tom Marshall dismissed. Loughborough Uni players are super-fit athletes and it was always going to be difficult when we were reduced to ten men. I'm hoping that new player, Dean Freeman is match fit. He should bring a bit of experience to the defence. Also hoping that Mitch Robinson is available to play along side him. One thing for sure is that we need Reco to play.

14/8/2019 2:56 PM  #7

I heard from an unreliable source that Mitch Robinson might be serving a suspension for points racked up last season. Do we know if Tom Marshall is suspended for Saturday. On a more positive note the programme for Saturday is almost complete although I have proof read it myself this week so be prepared for loads of typos!! Anyway is it raining in Southport?

14/8/2019 4:12 PM  #8

The one good thing about last Saturday's defeat was the ovation that our fans gave to our players at full time.  The defeat was a massive disappointment but they still applauded the players off at the end. Unbelievable. I know Nick was really impressed. 
Maybe Dean Freeman was brought in because Mitch Robinson and Tom Marshall are suspended, Lavell White injured and Matt is needing more time out. We appear to be short of available defenders which is a worry. With Billy Bennett out with a long term problem, it looks like Conor Green will have to play at full back again and Jermaine Palmer also in defence. As things stand this could be the depleted team:
In Goal                    :   Ross Durrant
Defenders               :   Connor Green, Fabian Smith, Jermaine Palmer, Dean Freeman
Midfield and attack  :   (6 from) Jermain Hollis, Reco Fyfe, Kieran Rowland, Mason Lee, Alex Marshall, Jordan Nadat, Kevin Bastos, Grant Ryan, Harry Wakefield

John :   send the programme to me and I'll proof read it.  We had a good downpour today but it's not raining now.

Last edited by Matchman (14/8/2019 6:27 PM)

14/8/2019 9:15 PM  #9

Tried to go past the ground tonight but no chance the road was flooded. I've never seen it that high before.

15/8/2019 9:57 PM  #10

Three more signings mean we now have a much stronger squad : Kieron Northwood, Shaun Harrad, Cameron Dear

By my reckoning, Ilkeston's signed players now comprise :
      Ross Durrant 
      Richard Stainsby
      Lavell White
      Billy Bennett
      Tom Marshall
      Fabian Smith
      Conor Green
      Jermain Hollis
      Jermaine Palmer
      Reco Fyfe
      Kieran Rowland
      Alex Marshall
      Jordan Nadat
      Kevin Bastos
      Grant Ryan
      Harry Wakefield
      Mason Lee
      Dean Freeman
      Kieron Northwood
      Shaun Harrad
      Cameron Dear

Hope I haven't missed anyone

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2019 10:06 PM)

16/8/2019 12:13 PM  #11

You have John

The fans

We are always the 12th man on the pitch

16/8/2019 6:20 PM  #12

Mitch Robinson ??

17/8/2019 5:51 AM  #13

Matchman wrote:

Three more signings mean we now have a much stronger squad : Kieron Northwood, Shaun Harrad, Cameron Dear

By my reckoning, Ilkeston's signed players now comprise :
      Ross Durrant 
      Richard Stainsby
      Lavell White
      Billy Bennett
      Tom Marshall
      Fabian Smith
      Conor Green
      Jermain Hollis
      Jermaine Palmer
      Reco Fyfe
      Kieran Rowland
      Alex Marshall
      Jordan Nadat
      Kevin Bastos
      Grant Ryan
      Harry Wakefield
      Mason Lee
      Dean Freeman
      Kieron Northwood
      Shaun Harrad
      Cameron Dear

Hope I haven't missed anyone

Thanks, Kev and apologies to Mitchell Robinson who I missed.
One more now to add : Tyreece Robinson (on one month's loan from Mickleover Sports

Board footera