WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2019 4:38 PM  #1

Next Five Matches

Sat 14 Dec   Glossop North End  away 
Sun 22 Dec  Cleethorpes Town   away  
Thu 26 Dec  Carlton Town           home  
Wed 1 Jan    Belper Town            away  
Sat 4 Jan      Stamford                 home  

After the Glossop match we have four absolutely vital matches against our promotion rivals. In my opinion if we are to make a serious challenge to get into the playoffs we have to win at Glossop and then win at least two of the following four matches
It's a big ask but If we can get 10 points from these five matches it would be brilliant and give us a great chance of finishing in the top five.    ie 3 wins, a draw and a defeat.

12/12/2019 9:29 AM  #2

Re: Next Five Matches

I think we can avoid defeat in our first three matches ie win at Glossop, draw at Cleethorpes and home win against Carlton, that will set us up for probably the two most difficult games. The one we're most likely to lose is Stamford. So these are the results I would settle for:

Glossop        (Away)          win
Cleethorpes  (Away)          draw
Carlton          (Home)         win
Belper           (Away)          draw
Stamford      (Home)          draw

Last edited by Matchman (12/12/2019 4:14 PM)

12/12/2019 10:10 PM  #3

Glosslop win
Cleethorpes lost
Carlton win
Belper draw
Stamford lost

Stamford best team in the league. Their number 8 with pony tail best player in league

13/12/2019 10:04 AM  #4

I'd settle for that Alex. It depends whether we have the breaks we had against Kidsgrove or the breaks we had against Sutton Coldfield Town. If we are confident and have self belief we are capable of beating anybody but seven points from these difficult games would be an acceptable return.

15/12/2019 10:00 PM  #5

We let ourselves down at Glossop and didn't get the expected 3 points so we now have to make up for that. I think we went into the Glossop game with an overconfident attitude. We should approach the game at Cleethorpes differently. We have to be at our best to have any chance of winning and we should go into the game with a determination not to concede a goal. If we don't concede then we don't lose. Come on Martin Carruthers, we need you to halt this poor run and return to winning ways.

15/12/2019 10:31 PM  #6

On paper the next four games are more difficult than the Glossop game. However many teams near the top are having dodgy spells and hopefully Ilkeston will be able to take advantage of some lapses. Unlike the Glossop game we probably go into the next four games as underdogs which I believe will not do us any harm. So Alex's target of seven points is still on. We've got all to gain and nothing to lose in the next four games.

17/12/2019 8:18 PM  #7

Following IIkeston’s recent poor run of results the Football Web Pages are now predicting that Ilkeston will miss the final playoff place by 13 points. They have Leek Town as champions finishing with 89 points from the 38 games. 
The teams in the play off positions are :
          Stamford          2nd with 86 points
          Belper               3rd with 83 points
          Stocksbridge    4th with 68 points
          Carlton              5th with 67 points 

Ilkeston are predicted to finish 9th with 54 points  (P38, W14, D12, L!2 )

Board footera