WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/4/2020 12:26 PM  #1

League One and Two Clubs Set to back Regional Split.

Football Clubs in League One and Two believe leagues may need to be regionalised so they have a better chance of staying afloat.  A number of sides in the third and fourth tiers fear the financial impact of the coronavirus crisis is putting them at risk.
There is yet to be s decision on when and if the 2019-20 season can resume and several clubs are in favour of Fleetwood Chairman Andy Pilley's proposal that the lower leagues revamp to stay in business during the Covid-19 pandemic and beyond.
If there is to be a rescue package it should also include a salary cap to enable football to become sustainable in the lower leagues. Travelling from Fleetwood to Gillingham on a Tuesday night makes no sense.
People of a certain age will remember the old Division 3 North and the Division 3 South.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was considered for non-league football leagues. Following coronavirus many clubs will be struggling to keep afloat and it would help them if travelling costs were reduced. Most leagues are already regionalised but there are still significant journeys so further regionalisation could reduce this. Doing this may mean less teams in each league so we may have to follow the Scottish example and play each other four times instead of twice .
It does seem likely that the coronavirus pandemic will bring about changes to the way football is played at present.

Last edited by Matchman (22/4/2020 12:27 PM)

22/4/2020 3:34 PM  #2

Re: League One and Two Clubs Set to back Regional Split.

I've said this for years. It would also be massive for non league football as well.

Just think we would have a league 1 north and south which would need a league 2 north and south

I hope this happens because if it does I could see us moving up a division because of our ground and crowds we get.

22/4/2020 10:12 PM  #3

The majority of National League clubs have now voted in favour of ending their season forthwith.

A few clubs have not yet voted but their votes are not enough to affect the result.

They have not decided on how to deal with promotion and relegation, that still has to be decided.

That means only the Premiership and Football League still have ambitions of completing the 2019-20 season's fixtures.

22nd April 2020   

The season may have already been concluded below step 3 of the English Football Pyramid, but now it seems the Vanarama National League at steps 1 and 2 have voted to follow suit.
BBC Three Counties Radios Ollie Bayliss has tweeted that a majority of clubs voted to not complete the season: “The National League have announced all regular season fixtures have been cancelled. A majority of clubs voted in favour of the resolution not to complete the season. The league will now ask clubs to vote on the ‘sporting outcomes’ of the season.”

National League clubs have voted to end the regular season at its current point, with promotion and relegation outcomes "under careful consideration

The league's board had urged clubs in its three divisions to vote in favour of ending the regular season without further games because of coronavirus. The league said there was a "clear majority of clubs in favour" from the almost 90% of responses returned.
Football in the fifth and sixth tiers was 
suspended on 16 March.
Clubs in the National League, National League North and National League South divisions that have not yet voted still have an opportunity to do so, the league's board said, but it "would not change the outcome".
A National League statement added: "In the knowledge that the ordinary resolution has passed, the League's board has chosen to communicate the decision now and before the last few responses are received, which will not change the outcome, to enable clubs to make business decisions with greater clarity as soon as possible.
"The options concerning the sporting outcomes of the 2019-20 season remain under careful and timely consideration, and further updates will be given in due course.
"Two clubs are usually promoted from the fifth tier into League Two, with four clubs being relegated and replaced by the champions and play-off winners in each of the National League North and South divisions.
In March, leagues from the men's seventh tier downwards in England were 
ended immediately and results expunged.
National League chief executive Michael Tattersall added: "At a time when the entire country is wrestling with the devastating impact of Covid-19, the cancellation of the remaining normal season matches brings a degree of certainty to our clubs coping with the business implications of the virus.

Barrow were four points clear at the top of the National League when the season was halted, and director Levi Gill believes the decision to end the regular season is the right one - even though his side's promotion to the English Football League now hangs in the balance. The club's nine remaining fixtures will now be scrapped, with clubs waiting to discover what options are given for ending the season as a whole. "Taken in isolation, it is the right call," Gill told BBC Sport.
The National League have said they will present options for how to finish the campaign but Gill says there has been no clarity over what, or how many, choices they are likely to be given. "Obviously we are very strongly against voiding the season," he said."But apart from that, it is impossible to know what to do without seeing the choices. It could be complete the table by points-per-game average, give final positions out on current standings or play-offs. I would prefer a straight 'yes or no' option but I don't know if that is what we will get." National League leaders Barrow won 21 of their 37 league games this season, scoring 68 goals
The National League had hoped to have the whole situation concluded by the end of the month but Gill feels that deadline is "tight". He confirmed Barrow have already passed EFL inspections, although work to put a roof over the visitors' section at their Holker Street stadium is now on hold. "We had to take a gamble on paying for the work because it needed to be done if we did get promoted," he said. "That is stopped now but we are committed to it." Barrow are aiming to return to the EFL after a 48-year absence after they were voted out in 1972 to make way for Hereford, despite only finishing third from bottom of the old Fourth Division.

Notts express 'disappointment' at vote outcome
Notts County, playing in non-league football for the first time in their 158-year history this season, were third in the table at the time of the suspension ."We would like to place on record our disappointment that the season has been brought to a premature end," said a statement from the Magpies' board of directors. "While we appreciate the views of other clubs and respect the overall outcome of this vote as a representation of opinion across the three divisions, our stance has always been that the National League should operate in tandem with the EFL due to the intrinsic link between the two leagues. "We were therefore opposed to this vote being imposed - particularly as there was no clear indication of what the next steps would be in terms of deciding the conclusion of the season, including end-of-season play-offs and matters concerning promotion and relegation. "Notts added that they have written to the National League with suggestions of "detailed, constructive and well-considered options for how we believe the league can be concluded" and players will continue to train remotely to "make sure we're ready to resume our push for promotion if we're given the opportunity we feel we and others deserve".
Their statement concluded: "In the meantime, we look forward to hearing from the National League with regards to what the next round of voting will entail, with the continued hope that our fight for an immediate return to the EFL isn't over.
"Meanwhile, York City are top of National League North by two points, although they have played two games more than second-placed King's Lynn Town.A club statement said: "Throughout the process, York City FC has put forward a strong case to see promotions honoured and will continue to do so until a decision is made. "Ending the campaign sitting at the top of the league and having endeavoured to play as many games as possible during the season, when it comes to voting on the sporting outcomes of the 2019-2020 league results, we are confident that the league and other clubs will take this key aspect into account."

Last edited by Matchman (22/4/2020 10:41 PM)

23/4/2020 8:51 AM  #4

It must be really tough if you were top of the league when play was suspended and then you find you have to do it all again. I am sure there must be a way of settling promotion and relegation issues that the majority of clubs can live with.
Social distancing will not be too difficult at some of the clubs Ilkeston have been at in the last few years as there crowds are sometimes very small but at the NMG with 500 in the Clocktower End it could be difficult to enforce.
Has anyone any thoughts on how you get round this problem?

23/4/2020 8:06 PM  #5

You can't. I can't stand still when we are attacking

23/4/2020 8:31 PM  #6

You could each have a chair from the clubhouse which is nailed to the terracing six foot or more from your fellow fans UNLESS that fan is your partner or lives in your house! Yes I mean the wife or god forbid one of your off spring unless they have flown the coop. As for the players god knows what hey will do! Although when I played in defence I rarely got within six feet of some of the superstars I had to mark! Richard Fleckney springs to mind (I would replace "mark" with the word "watch" Its more accurate) and the day I tried to mark a young Jeff Parry. The memory is still painful! I was nearly in tears by the end of the game.

Board footera