WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/4/2020 9:44 PM  #1

My most memorable match

The game that will live with me for ever was the playoff semifinal match at Workington at the end of the 2014-15 season. 

Finishing fifth in the league meant we had to travel to play against the team finishing second. So we had to make the long journey on a Tuesday night to Workington who had recently beaten us twice in the league.
It was decided that the team would travel the day before and have an overnight stay so that they wouldn’t be overly tired by the five hour journey. They stayed at a hotel near Penrith about a 35 minute drive from Workington. The hotel was in a remote area surrounded by fields of sheep.
The players had a decent night’s sleep followed by breakfast and a walk. Lunch was followed by a good rest period and an inspirational team talk by manager, Kevin Wilson before finally setting off for the game. 
Only supreme optimists gave Ilkeston a chance but in a one-off game anything can happen.
The diehard Ilkeston supporters were there as usual determined to do their bit. If we were to pull off the impossible, they wanted to be there to see it.
There was a crowd of 1,391 and all but about 60 were roaring on Workington.The playing conditions were certainly better than on our previous visit and this enabled Ilkeston to settle down and play.
Ilkeston had the boost of having David Morgan back in midfield after suspension. We were defending well and the crowd were getting frustrated because Workington couldn’t take control or create any serious chances. 
Half-time came and we were comfortable with the way the game was going. it crossed my mind that if we could hold out we would have an evens chance in a penalty shoot out.
The second half started like the first with Workington still unable to get on top. Then in the 56th minute it was euphoria for the small but noisy band of Ilkeston supporters. Kane Richards managed to turn and squeeze his shot into the net. It was no more than we deserved.
Workington had no option but to go for an equaliser and they pushed forward. Ilkeston were forced to defend. I could imagine the Ilkeston supporters at home following the match on their computers biting their fingernails as the game drew slowly to a close.
It was to be our night and we held out for a famous victory. It was an outstanding performance by the whole team and the fans who made the journey celebrated wildly. We had done it. We had defied the odds and beaten the favourites. We didn’t get home until after 3am and some had to get up for work but there were no regrets.

26/4/2020 10:08 PM  #2

Re: My most memorable match

I think I've got 2 many to choose from

27/4/2020 7:16 PM  #3

My best match really has to be Ilkeston Town 7 Tamworth 1. The game decided who got promotion from the Southern League Midland Division. Tamworth had beat us comprehensively 4-0 at their place a few weeks before and we were fearing the worst.  We had to win!! Both Harbottles Mark and Dave got hat tricks after Tamworth took the lead early on  and their large vocal  following thought they were home and dry. Mark Harbottle took the piss that night and showed what an exceptional talent and entertainer he was. At the end of the game my gloating was tempered by the sight of a very young Tamworth crying his eyes out as he left the New Manor Ground! I felt so sorry for him for about ten seconds then i remembered the gloating of the Tamworth fans at their place when they beat us. Great days indeed!!

27/4/2020 7:32 PM  #4

What followed my most memorable match was my most disappointing match.

IlkestonFC Supporters Group took three bus loads of supporters to the playoff final and many fans made their own way there but they were greatly outnumbered by the local Curzon Ashton fans in the 1,212 crowd. Ilkeston were slow to start and Curzon Ashton took the initiative. They took the lead with a scruffy goal which appeared to go in off the unfortunate Rob Duffy. Half time came with Curzon deservedly ahead 1-0. The second half was a complete turnaround with Ilkeston dominant. Despite this they just couldn't find an equaliser. Ilkeston needed something to break their way but it wouldn't happen. There were frantic goalmouth scrambles but Michael Williams came closest to scoring with a shot that shaved the post near the end. The result was a massive disappointment but as we all know you don't always get what you deserve and in a playoff final it's a case of winner takes all. I had the privilege of watching the game with the great Rod Malcolm, who taught me so much about match reporting.

01/5/2020 9:16 PM  #5

Most memorable away journey :

It has to be the trip to Leek Town last season, never to be forgotten by those supporters who travelled on the double decker bus.  We were a bit late arriving at the ground due to the packed double decker struggling to get up some of the  many hills as we laboured along the winding country roads. We also had to have a comfort stop at a lay-by.
Nick Hawkins travelled with us and we also had the team kit on the bus. Our late arrival meant that the players were waiting to get kitted up. There were some incredulous looks as the double decker pulled up outside the ground and sixty odd fans disembarked. 

01/5/2020 11:00 PM  #6

One of my most memorable away matches was West Midlands League match away at Gornal Athletic. I cannot remember the score!! However the event that made this game special was an incident in the second half when Ilkeston decided to sub Mark Harbottle who was getting some really rough treatment from the Gornal defenders. As he left the pitch some of the crowd who included a Gornal player who had been subbed earlier started to give Mark some verbals. He headed not for the changing but headed straight  to the abusing fans/players and jumped over the barrier and set about them. At this point the whole Ilkeston team except Alan Rigby ran and jumped over the fence and joined in. Incredibly Gornal had just had a delivery of surplus seats from Molynuex and the ensuing brawl spread to the pile of seats. I still cannot forget the image of Jason Campbell hitting one of their fans over the head with a plastic seat. We all stood behind the goal with our mouths open struck dumb by the events unfolding on the touchline. Strangely after five minutes everyone except Mark returned to the pitch and the game resumed. Strangely the Ref did not book anybody. We spoke to the ref after the game who was heard to say "I don't think I need to put that little incident in my report. It was just handbags". Them were the days!

01/5/2020 11:06 PM  #7

Matchman wrote:

Most memorable away journey :

It has to be the trip to Leek Town last season, never to be forgotten by those supporters who travelled on the double decker bus.  We were a bit late arriving at the ground due to the packed double decker struggling to get up some of the  many hills as we laboured along the winding country roads. We also had to have a comfort stop at a lay-by.
Nick Hawkins travelled with us and we also had the team kit on the bus. Our late arrival meant that the players were waiting to get kitted up. There were some incredulous looks as the double decker pulled up outside the ground and sixty odd fans disembarked. 

Yes this game included the seasons low point i.e.. the goings on on the bus courtesy of our Chief Exec and the score and one of the high points i.e.. the performance of the team for the first sixty minutes where they outplayed Leek. A very very strange night! I was worried that this was going to be one of our last games as off the pitch we were a shambles and an embarrassment as a club! On the pitch the players and the management were magnificent!

Board footera