WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/5/2020 7:42 AM  #31

Re: Looking forward to next season

A number of NPL clubs are crowdfunding to support them during this difficult time.

Click on the relevant team name to view and donate.

Premier Division: 
Atherton Collieries
Bamber Bridge
FC United
Gainsborough Trinity
Grantham Town
Lancaster City
Matlock Town
Mickleover Sports
Scarborough Athletic
Stafford Rangers
Stalybridge Celtic
Warrington Town
Whitby Town
Witton Albion

North/West Division: 
Brighouse Town
City of Liverpool
Marine
Marske United
Mossley
Ossett United
Pickering Town
Ramsbottom United
Trafford
Workington

South/East Division: 
Chasetown 
Frickley Athletic
Lincoln United
Spalding United
Worksop Town

If your club’s crowdfunding initiative isn’t listed, please contact newsdesk@thenpl.co.uk  

05/5/2020 3:39 PM  #32

South Shields have smashed through the 500-mark for 2020/21 season ticket sales.

The latest surge includes more than 80 junior tickets which have been bought and donated back to the club to distribute to deserving children ahead of the season, with the assistance of SSFC Foundation.

Club captain and Head of Professional Development Jon Shaw, centre-back Dillon Morse, goalkeeper Ross Coombe and teenage talents Will Jenkins and Sam Hodgson are among those to have donated tickets to the initiative. Midfielder Nathan Lowe, meanwhile, donated a child AND adult season ticket, while Academy players Joe Lockey, Joe Ames, Aaron Steavens and Ben Errington all added tickets to the fund, as did Academy graduate Will McCamley, who is now with Huddersfield Town. Jordan Hunter – who excelled on loan with the Mariners from Sunderland in the 2019-20 campaign – also provided two child season tickets. He said: “I think everyone knows how much I loved the last season at the club. “I donated because you can see how much the club means to the town and this initiative will help to get children through the gates who wouldn’t normally get the chance to, and gives them an opportunity to have that enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon. “It has been great to see so many people get on board with it and hopefully it continues to go from strength to strength, and then next season those young fans can watch the team achieve the promotion we deserved to get this year.”

The Tickets To The Future initiative was kicked off by Shields supporter Jeff Bell, who lives in London. He purchased eight child season tickets for the 2020-21 campaign before donating them back to the club. Jeff’s wish was for the tickets to be given to deserving children who would not usually have the opportunity to attend games at Mariners Park. The club has committed to working with SSFC Foundation to identify those children. After Jeff’s generosity was publicised on social media, a host of other figures came forward to donate tickets. Among them were club officials Bob and Viv Scott, Daniel Prince, Colin Docherty, Kev Wilson and Janet Davies. One supporter, who wished to remain anonymous, donated 10 junior tickets on Friday and the total amount of donations is expected to exceed 100 in the coming days.  

05/5/2020 3:54 PM  #33

Leek Town FC[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/leektown]@leektown·May 3 

This man is in demand - a great online interview and now the @NonLeaguePaper Blues "Hitman" @Tim_Grice9 Available today in all good newsagents  

07/5/2020 9:48 PM  #34

08/5/2020 10:26 AM  #35

There are some mixed messages coming out of Basford as they are still signing new players. It is however interesting to note how much revenue is coming form hiring out the facilities!

11/5/2020 8:40 PM  #36

Matlock Town have announced link-ups with Manchester-based Denton Town and Wirksworth Ivanhoe of the Central Midlands League.

The two clubs, like the Gladiators, have received financial backing from Hollywood film producer Rob Molley, who recently accepted an invitation to become a vice president at Matlock. A pre-season game with Denton, who play in the Hallmark Security Cheshire League, has already been revealed, while Ivanhoe will also visit in pre-season to contest the Rob Molloy Trophy.

Matlock boss Paul Phillips said: “Having these links will hopefully prove to be extremely useful, not only for ourselves, but the other two clubs as well.

“It means we can keep an eye on any emerging talent at clubs in different areas. With not having a reserve side and with both Nathan Whitehead and Craig King coming back after long lay-offs, we can get them on dual registration and monitor their way back. "It should also promote our club in both communities, even though Matlock is about 40 miles away from Denton. Rob (Molloy) has also donated to both clubs.”

12/5/2020 12:47 PM  #37

NEXT YEAR IS PROBABLY A BIG YEAR FOR US     by Kieran King

Loughborough Dynamo manager Lee Attenborough believes that his side are in a strong position and will be ready to go again when they get the green light to begin the new football season. The Moes’ BetVictor Northern Premier League South East campaign was cancelled back in March with nine games remaining due to Covid-19, and all of their results were expunged, meaning the league was deemed null and void. Attenborough, who celebrated his 75th game in charge of the club back in February, explains how he has maintained his squad during these difficult times and gives an update on how he is preparing for next season.

He said: “It’s one of them. We’ve kept in touch with a lot of the lads by text. I’ve spoke to all of them over the phone regards the lockdown situation and also trying to get plans in place for next season.

“This is in terms of who we want to stay and whether lads are willing to stay and want to continue playing for the club which the vast majority do. We’re looking solid for next year. We’ve got pretty much all of them (last season’s squad) agreed so we’re ready to go as and when season is ready to kick-off whenever that may be. "We know it’s probably going to be a long time but at the same time, if you do prepare and things do change, you’re going to be in a position where you are ready to go. So that’s important, but we’ve also done Zoom quizzes with the whole squad where we’ve all got together and had a good laugh.

”Dynamo ended the season with a seven-match unbeaten run and recorded impressive victories over Frickley Athletic, Carlton Town and Ilkeston Town in the process. But after a challenging start to the campaign which oversaw a good FA Cup run, the 29-year-old looks back on 2019/20 where his team eventually finished up in 11th place, nine points below the play-off places. “It’s similar to my first season in charge in the sense that we didn’t start particularly well,” he explained. “I think that was our problem in both the last two years because we’ve always seem to come good around Christmas towards the end of the season. “That’s almost two years running where we’ve had a run of seven undefeated, the season before it was six wins in a row. You think if we could have a little bit of better start and give us something to build on going into the second-half of the season, we would be up there competing. “So I think as an overall, we’ve done another good job.

When I took the job two years ago, it was to avoid relegation. We’ve now, I feel, cemented ourselves as a very solid mid-table side as a team other sides don’t want to play. No one sees us as an easy touch. “We have progressed but obviously because we’re ambitious at the same time. We’re always looking at the play-off spots and if we can get there but it’s probably still early for the club and the squad we’ve got to have done that this season. Obviously try and re-access and do that for the next one. “Next year is probably a big year for us I think because the squad is jelled, we’ve got the squad right. If we can get those signings right then we could be a good side." 

Last edited by Matchman (12/5/2020 12:52 PM)

12/5/2020 6:59 PM  #38

Grantham Town have signed Liam Hardy from Northern Premier League counterparts Buxton

Hardy, 32, scored 18 goals in 27 appearances for the Bucks last season, a club he has had a long association with.

He first joined the Bucks in 2014, before departing to Darlington for a transfer fee in February 2016 and then returning to Silverlands in March 2017. In total, he has scored 144 goals in 235 games for the Bucks, but confirmed on Twitter that he will be moving on to join Grantham for the 2020/21 season.

Gingerbreads manager Martin McIntosh said: “He is a fantastic addition to the side and someone who I wanted to bring in. “His goalscoring record speaks for itself and even though by his standards he didn’t score as many as he would like, he is proven at this level. He’s still young, fit and healthy and possesses good pace and having worked with him before for four years, it was a no-brainer really.

”Meanwhile, Grantham have also confirmed the departure of Craig Westcarr.

Westcarr, 35, was the club’s top scorer in 2019/20, with 17 goals in 28 appearances.  

12/5/2020 7:18 PM  #39

STEVE CHETTLE IN GREAT SPIRITS AS THE CLUB NOW SITS AND WAITS FOR GUIDANCE ON A RESTARTBY JONNY DRAKE

Basford's first-team manager, Steve Chettle, has been a busy man in recent months, making some well thought out signings & re-signings. With Basford denied a shot at the 2019-20 playoffs, rather than sit & dwell, Steve Chettle has gone about the task of future-proofing Basford United, with excellent judgment attracting a mix of excellent players and a clutch of prospects.

With Basford's Educational Academy also looking in great shape for the new season, there’s a lot to be positive about for Basford United FC. Commenting on such Steve Chettle states: “this time of any normal season is always hard. When contracts come to an end (and with the season finishing the way it did) it has made our retention of players even more difficult.

“We had already negotiated some deals before the season came to an end, and we have also secured the services of new players that fit into our ethos as a Club.  “Having worked with the players last season and getting into a really good position in the playoffs, it's difficult to let players go, but decisions have to be made and the structure of the club has to be of major consideration.  “These are difficult times that we find ourselves in and we have to make sure that the future of the club is at the forefront of our minds and securing the services of young, hungry players to work alongside the existing players that we have is going to be exciting.  “We thank the players that have left the club at the end of the season and we hope that they find themselves another venture. The squad is growing, and we are planning for pre-season as normal and listening to the Government guidelines as to when we can get back to work on the pitch ready for when our league programme will commence.  

”The club has no doubt taken some tough decisions to trim the size of the squad, but both Steve and the chairman feel such has been achieved without Basford being any less ambitious and are well placed to give future seasons a real go.  Commenting, Basford chairman, Chris Munroe, said: “I am extremely buoyant of what Steve, this group of players, our Academy and the advanced aged youth phase teams can achieve in the next few years.  “It’s exciting, refreshing, and I have a real buzz about the club even though we are not able to be on-site at the moment.  

“It’s been difficult for me to let any player go, especially those giving great service; but we are looking for players who want to be with us for this duration, have the tools/ experience or leadership we are looking for in a player or the potential & desire to help us achieve our objectives in the next two to three years.

”Mr Munroe would also like to thank Sportz Connections & One Stop Sports Management for the way they represent their clients in dealings with Basford United.  Both Mr Munroe and Steve Chettle believe the club is maybe one or two signings away from having a complete group. The club, though, will take its time and not make knee jerk reactions and have a small but exceptional list of targets that we are in discussions with.  

Commenting on the current situation, Mr Munroe states: “Like all, we are obviously struggling at the moment but not to the extent that some believe. Once a resumption kicks in then we will hit the ground running, but safety is paramount; we could be faced with a longer period of inactivity that could potentially jeopardise the forthcoming season. How high-level professional football and non-league football looks after this period will be anyone’s guess, but Basford intends to be there.  ”Mr Munroe would also like to inform fans that the club has launched a new Commercial department that will actively look to market the club to raise funds & appointments will be forthcoming. 

14/5/2020 8:27 PM  #40

Mickleover Sports have signed defenders James Butler and Alex Morris from Kidsgrove Athletic.

Former Stoke youngster Butler expressed a desire to play at a higher level, while left-back Morris, 21, came through the ranks at Port Vale and was Players Player of the Year at Kidsgrove in 2018/19.

Morris said: “I am really looking forward to starting at Mickleover and show the club what I can offer. After speaking to the gaffer, the clubs ambitions definitely match mine and hopefully we can have a successful season."

Meanwhile, Kidsgrove manager Scott Dundas has reiterated that players will come and go, although, alongside his management team they are busy developing the squad for the forthcoming season. 

However, at this point, they will not be releasing any news on any new players until they have signed whenever that will be.

16/5/2020 10:08 PM  #41

Former NPL East Division Young Player of the Year Piteu Crouz is the headline departure from Matlock Town after their revealed their retained list.

Crouz, 23, joined Matlock from Belper Town but after a solid start to his spell with the Gladiators, was hit by injury and suspension and struggled to regain a regular spot in the starting line-up.

Also departing the Proctors Cars Stadium are striker Sam Scrivens, goalkeeper Kyle Trennery and Sikirulaki Hamzat, who was signed on the day of his debut, against Warrington on March 10, which proved to be his first and last appearance.Midfielders Luke Dean and Jack Rea and full-back Ben Gordon haven’t been offered new deals but have been invited back to pre-season should they wish.

Boss Paul Phillips said: “It’s been really hard, none of them have really done anything wrong but Matlock again finished towards the bottom of the division and it’s plain to see a shake up was required. “I’m also looking at what I hope we have coming in. Piteu, Ben and Luke live quite a way away, and as for Jack I’ve never seen him play due to injury. “We have to look at things financially, while we’re hopeful Rob (Molloy) can have some positive impact there’s also the situation with the Coronavirus epidemic to look at. “We like everyone else aren’t really sure what will be happening and the implications of it. I felt like a coward having to speak to players on the phone, I’m the type of bloke who’ll speak with players face to face but there was no other way.

”Long-term injury absentees Craig King and Nathan Whitehead are included on the retained list, as is former Warrington midfielder Scott Sephton who signed just prior to the lockdown.Matlock’s full retained list is Alex Byrne, Chib Chilaka, Ben Edgson, Bailey Gooda, Spencer Harris, Luke Hinsley, Adam Kimberley, Craig King, Tomas Poole, Scott Sephton, Jon Stewart, Dan Turner, Nathan Whitehead, Dwayne Wiley and Adam Yates.

Several teams have now announced their retained players.

Our supporters are eagerly awaiting news of Ilkeston's retained list and details of any new signings. 

17/5/2020 7:45 AM  #42

I was listening to the latest NPL Show Podcast where they were talking to the Grantham Town chairman and I realised that I had completely missed the appointment of Martin McIntosh. In case you missed it too, the below article is over a month old. 
In the 15th May 2020 podcast, the Grantham chairman was saying that they have received extra sponsorship money for next season and are hoping that the additional funding will enable them to perform massively better. After their brush with relegation last season they are hoping to at least make a playoff challenge in 2020-21 and they believe Martin McIntosh is the man to bring this about.

*******************************************************

Martin McIntosh is appointed as Grantham Town's new manager 
By John Burgess  Published: 17:08, 03 March 2020  

Grantham Town today (Tuesday) confirmed the appointment of Martin McIntosh as the new manager of the club. Since the resignation of Paul Rawden and his team, the club has had numerous people show interest in the vacancy.

In a statement, the club said it had to consider the short term situation as well as considering the longer term picture, and the board of directors swiftly came to the conclusion that they needed a well-established manager who has experience of the Northern Premier League tier of football. 

Martin McIntosh (30708577)

After serious and detailed consideration, and having met with McIntosh, the board came to the conclusion that he would be an excellent appointment for the football club.

McIntosh made more than 450 appearances in his career, starting in Scotland before making appearances in the Football League with Stockport County, Rotherham United and Huddersfield Town.

He took his first steps in coaching in 2009, being named as first team coach at Rotherham, before taking the reins at Worksop Town in October 2010.Subsequently, he had a six-year spell in charge at Buxton, leaving the Bucks in 2018. Since then, Martin has had spells lower down the pyramid at Ilkeston Town and Frickley Athletic.

Upon taking up the Gingerbreads reins, McIntosh said: “I’m delighted at the opportunity and can’t wait to get started. We’ve got a lot of big games coming up and I’m really looking forward to it.

"We need to build a side that will fight for each other and pull us away from the drop zone. It’s still close down there but I’m fully focused on the challenge ahead."I met with the directors and I’m excited at their vision for the club. My immediate priority is the first team and then I’ll be working alongside Alex [Watson] and the staff at the academy to try and give the young players an opportunity as we begin to build for next year.

”The club's board expressed their appreciation for Danny Racchi and Scott Goodwin for the way they took on the task of interim managers, with their efforts duly rewarded on Saturday with a valuable three points.
Racchi will be staying on as captain.
Former Gingerbreads Goodwin has left after his brief return to the club and departs with the board's best wishes and gratitude.

17/5/2020 7:49 PM  #43

More news from Carlton Town :

LAST TWO HOME GAMES WERE THE BIGGEST POSITIVE AND THEN THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT IN EQUAL MEASURE SAYS NORTH

In the second of our exclusive interviews with some of the key figures from last season, we spoke to Vice Chairman Barry North about his first season at Stoke Lane.

“We definitely as a family made the right decision to come to this club, the welcome from day one from everyone towards myself, Jackie and Gary was overwhelming and it has continued ever since”

“The infrastructure in terms of the fund raising at the club is outstanding and that alone gives us a fighting chance and the work put in by the likes of Mick, Roger, Wally and Dave behind the scenes along with others is most impressive”

While Barry has been left impressed with the people behind the scenes, he believes that for a football club to succeed, all three sections of the club have to be pulling in the same direction. The board and managers, the players and the supporters and he genuinely believes that is happening at the club.

“The transformation on the pitch, particularly from players that struggled the year before has been most impressive and their progress under Tommy and Mark who have done a great job as been fantastic to see”

“The stand out things for me are the way Martin Ball showed any doubters that he still had what it takes to perform at the highest level at this standard and I hope he can continue that next season and to continue to help develop the club’s youngsters”

The excellent penalty taking of the skipper Tom Maddison is another massive plus for the club, I believe he only missed one and that was converted on the rebound”

“I have enjoyed the away trips, but the Wisbech one springs to mind as a favourite, not least because of the friendly people we met that day"

North saves his biggest praise however for the club’s supporters“ They are a magnificent bunch led by Alan Murphy, they all too made us feel so welcome and the way they rallied to set up the 100 club and fill it so quickly was astonishing”  

“The 100 club has certainly helped protect the club now during this awful time, but it also gives us a platform of hope for the future and everyone involved with this should be so proud of their efforts and commitment to the club”  

“I get the distinct impression there is a lot of pride in this club throughout and that gives us a real chance” continued NorthSumming up, North admitted that the last week of the season as it turned out gave him the most enjoyment of the campaign but also in retrospect his biggest disappointment.

“Our away form was outstanding all season but our home form was not so good, so for me in that last week to win two home games 4-0 on the bounce was a wow moment” “It was a case of we had splattered the achilles heel and now watch us go and then we were stopped in our tracks by the virus and now we will never know what the outcome would be, but I genuinely believe it would have a good one” concluded North, a man clearly comfortable and embracing his role as Vice Chairman at the club and desperately hoping the virus will not stop football next season.

17/5/2020 8:03 PM  #44

Market Drayton Town FC AGM is taking place online

MARKET DRAYTON TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB - ON LINE AGM :  MONDAY 18TH MAY 2020 AT 7.00PM

Market Drayton Town FC Ltd will be conducting their AGM online via Microsoft Teams on Monday 18th May 2020 at 7.00pm.

Further information and instructions on joining the meeting will follow in due course.

The meeting will be chaired by current MDTFC Chairman Mick Murphy, and you will be able to ask questions and interact online with the meeting.

It is uncertain times for everyone at this present time, but rest assured that there are plenty of things being addressed behind the scenes.

Further information will follow, in the meantime take care and stay safe

Last edited by Matchman (17/5/2020 8:04 PM)

17/5/2020 8:18 PM  #45

Chasetown FC have applied for an FA Grant towards the cost of preparing their pitch for next season

PITCHING IN AT THE SCHOLARS GROUND   BY PAUL MULLINS

Work on the playing surface has begun taking place.

We are pleased to say that work has begun being undertaken on the playing surface. The work carried out was :-
40 tonnes of sand applied to the pitch as a top dressing
The pitch has been aerated
The pitch has been listed and new seed has been sown all over pitch, particularly on the areas showing the most wear and tear.

The FA have agreed a grant of £1,500 to many clubs for this purpose, which we have applied for, as a contribution towards the cost.

19/5/2020 7:30 PM  #46

Belper Town have revealed four signings in preparation for the 2020/21 season.

Defender Ben Rhodes makes the move from Worksop Town, loanee Josh Woodcock has made his switch permanent and winger Nathan Curtis and goalkeeper Ryan Musselwhite have agreed new deals.

Full-back Woodcock, 17, makes a permanent move to the club having ended last season on loan from Lincoln City. Manager Grant Black told the club’s official website: “Really pleased to get him (Woodcock), out of everywhere he could have gone he choose us. Speaks volumes about what we are trying to do as a club (and) that he wants to be a part of it. “This lad has got a big future in my opinion very high up the pyramid. I think we can help him on that journey. Great lad, great attitude, all the attributes of a proper full back.”

Rhodes, 23, moves from the Raygar Stadium after impressing Black playing against Belper last season and has previously had spells with Stocksbridge Park Steels and Penistone Church (loan).He said: “My first reaction when received the call was excitement. “I didn’t need very long to make up my mind to sign, having spoken with the management team. I get a good feeling about playing for them and the club!”

Musselwhite, 25, joined the Nailers from Pontefract Collieries last summer and is committed for another year alongside Curtis, who scored eight goals in 27 games last season. Curtis added: “Keeping a lot of players is important we all know each other’s game well and have developed good chemistry. However new signings are always important to keep things fresh.”

19/5/2020 9:09 PM  #47

BASFORD UNITED CONFIRM THE FINAL RETAINED LIST PLUS THREE MORE DEPARTBY JONNY DRAKE

Basford can confirm the final retained list for pre-season & departures of Nat Watson, Jack Thomas & Brad Gascoigne. With Steve Chettle doing the bulk of our summer work early the club has an excellent platform to go into pre-season.

The club can confirm today that Nathan Watson, Jack Thomas & Brad Gascoigne will not be offered deals for the new campaign. Basford Chairman, Chris Munroe, commented “It's always sad to let players & great servants go, but for differing reasons we have taken this decision. 

"Defensively, we are aware of some excellent players who will likely be released from the National League, so we have taken this decision with the intention of bolstering via identified defensive targets in the coming weeks.

”The club would like to thank Nat, Jack, Brad and all those who have given excellent service and we wish them the absolute best in the future. Mr Munroe said "the club is operating under such uncertainty with regard to all levels of football currently with regard to the pandemic. Therefore it is prudent to take the actions necessary to ensure any prolonged continuation and delay to the new season will be no risk to the club whatsoever. However, not many clubs will have been as active as us at this stage of late spring so we are excited and the two more defensive reinforcements we sought are moving along well.

Basford’s retained/signed & agreed trialist list stands at 20 excluding any academy prospects who also may force their way into Steve Chettle preseason plans; 

Kieran PrestonGK
Invited Trialist
Ryan Wilson
Stef Galinski
Dom Roma
Lewis Carr
Invited Trialist
Invited Trialist
Callum Chettle
Matt Thornhill
Kyle Dixon
James Tague
James Carvell
Marcus Marshall
Ashley Worsfold
Coury Grantham
Niall Towle
Rev James
Kane Richards
Wayde Hines

Steve Chettle, who is working on the preseason schedule and training plan under the uncertainty, expressed views on where the current squad is: ”As mentioned before, we are planning for next season under extreme uncertainty. "Like most clubs, we are trying to build a squad to continue on last season's successes, but it also comes with comings and goings. Nat, Jack and Brad all played their part during the season, but mutually we have decided to move onto a new challenge and we wish them all the best and thank them for their efforts last season. "It is almost impossible to make everybody happy in a competitive squad and sometimes we don't get deals over the line that we would have liked to. These things happen in football and will continue to do so all around the country. 

"I have spoken to all the players today to see how they are coping in these strange times and checked that they have received their offseason schedule in order to come back into pre-season when it is safe to do so. All the lads have said that they have been keeping active and can't wait to get back together.” 

19/5/2020 9:38 PM  #48

Carlton Town goalkeeper Jack Steggles has signed a new contract with the club.

Steggles, 24, made 33 appearances last season and was Supporters’ Player of the Year in 2017/18 after coming through the club’s academy.He told the club’s official website: “I was happy that I was asked to sign a new contract again for next season

.“When Tommy asked me to sign, there was only going to be one answer, because the way he and the team performed last season was amazing and we all want the same feeling again.”

Carlton were fifth in the S/East Division when the season was brought to a premature end, a marked difference to the previous campaign where they had fought relegation.They won 14 and drew six of their 26 league games.  

20/5/2020 7:22 AM  #49

Prolific Hazel Heads To Whitby

By James Gordon

Whitby Town have signed prolific striker Jacob Hazel from Frickley Athletic. Hazel, 26, scored a record 47 goals in 2017/18 and had bagged 17 goals in 34 games when the 2019/20 season was brought to an end. He told the club’s official website: “I spoke to Chris Hardy a couple of weeks ago and we had a really good chat about everything. “I think we share a similar ambition in the game and beyond so that helped to attract me to Whitby Town. “I also couldn't turn down the opportunity to jump up a level and that was a massive head turner.

“As a striker I'm here to score goals and I would say that I like a shot, but my main aim is to create chances for my teammates and myself. That's what I think best describes my style of play. “I am confident that I can transfer my form and ability from Frickley to Whitby and hopefully hit the ground running whenever that may be.

”Hazel has previously had spells with Mickleover Sports, Chesterfield, FC United of Manchester, Buxton, Bradford PA, Gainsborough, Farsley and Scarborough.  

Frickley Athletic manager Dave Frecklington has confirmed a number of player departures.

As previously revealed, Captain Jacob Hazel and goalkeeper Tom Jackson have stepped up a division to join Whitby Town and Gainsborough Trinity respectively.

Also opting to leave are Bradley Wells, Michael Hollingsworth and Brad McGowan, while Lewis Bowring and Paul Sherburn depart in the search for regular playing time.

Frecklington told the club’s official website: “I totally understand the reasons behind them wanting to move on and as a manager, whether you like it or not, you have to respect their decision and move on quickly.

“Having held talks with all of last seasons squad I have been pleased with the response of those that have intentions of staying at the football club.

“Until we have the registration forms sent out by the NPL I will be keeping those names close to my chest, firstly because we can’t register them until July anyway and secondly things can change very quickly in football.

“Recruitment is going to plan, again I don’t want to mention names until it’s signed and sealed.“Once we get the green light to do so, we will be holding a meet and greet evening, we really can’t wait to get this underway and outline how we want to go about our business next season and beyond.”  

There appears to be some conflicting information here regarding registration of players in the Northern Premier League.  Frecklington is saying above that players can't be registered until July but Basford and other clubs have been announcing their new signings and retained players.

Last edited by Matchman (20/5/2020 7:29 AM)

20/5/2020 5:06 PM  #50

Matlock boss Paul Phillips says assistant manager Brian Wilson will again be doubling up as a player next season.

But the vastly experienced Wilson who turned 37 earlier this month, has told Phillips of his desire to be a manager in his own right, a situation Phillips is happy with. Phillips said: “Brian will again be on the playing staff next season as well as being part of the management team

.“He has a wealth of experience with over 400 Football League games under his belt, but Brian has also told me he wants to be a manager in his own right and will be applying for jobs. He has my full support, he’s one hundred per cent professional and as a club we’ll do all we can to help him. But until the time that the management job comes his way, he’ll be giving one hundred per cent to Matlock Town.

”Phillips has been busy shortlisting for two scouting positions with the Gladiators during the last few days. “We had eighty eight applications which just goes to show what a good club Matlock is and how people regard it” said Phillips. “We’ve got it down to the final three and will be making a decision shortly. It’s been a terrific response and I’d like to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to apply.”  

20/5/2020 11:22 PM  #51

Still waiting for news of Ilkeston players for next season 

We've all been patiently awaiting news of players who will be wearing Ilkeston's colours next season.  The following players appear to have been retained so far.

Kieran Wells
        Richard Stainsby
        Joe Maguire
        Ross Durrant
        Kieran Fenton
        Billy Bennett

We can probably add Tom Marshall to the above list and we know we have lost Reco Fyfe and Fabian Smith.

Experienced players that we don't know about who were with us at the end of last season include :

Fernando Bell-Toxtle,
        James Cullingworth,
        Kole Lambert and
        Mason Lee  

There have been hints of some good quality new signings but so far they have not been revealed.

Last edited by Matchman (21/5/2020 7:19 AM)

21/5/2020 11:33 AM  #52

It’s a Yes from me on Wells, Maguire, Durrant, and Bennett. He did improve in the last 5 or 6 games, but the jury’s still out on Fenton for me. Just can’t see him  in a title winning/title chasing side.

22/5/2020 8:14 AM  #53

22/5/2020 2:40 PM  #54

Bedworth United announce 2020-21 Pre Season Fixtures

We are happy to announce our pre-season schedule(Subject to Government and FA Guidance regarding Covid-19)

The Greenbacks start their preparation for the 20-21 season with a visit to Midland Football League side Ashby Ivanhoe. 

Ashby Ivanhoe were in 14th place when the 2019/2020 season was stopped but that league position isn’t a true reflection as they had a whopping 6 games in hand on most of the other teams in the league so no doubt would have placed higher had the season reached a conclusion.

Next up will be a midweek game away against Lichfield City FC.  Lichfield play in the Midland League Division 1 and were placed 5th when the season ended last time out.

The following Saturday will see us on the road again with a short trip to Sphinx Drive to face off against another Midland Football League side in Coventry Sphinx.

Then we have our first home game of the pre season and they don’t get much bigger when Premier Central Nuneaton come to visit The OVAL.

After the visit of Nuneaton we face off at the OVAL against Rugby Town with 2 more away games at Coalville and Droylesden that sees us ready for the season ahead.

Pre Season 2020/2021

Sat July18th               AWAY       Ashby Ivanhoe FC                3pm KO
Tues July 21st            AWAY       Lichfield  FC                        7.45pm KO
Sat July 25th              AWAY       Coventry Sphinx FC             3pm KO
Tues July 28th           HOME       Nuneaton Borough FC        7.45pm KO
Sat August 1st           HOME       Rugby Town FC                  3pm KO
Tues August 4th         AWAY       Coalville Town FC                7.45pm KO
Sat August 8th           AWAY       Droylesden FC                    3pm KO 

*ALL FIXTURES SUBJECT TO CHANGE  

22/5/2020 6:27 PM  #55

Mr wells has gone and reidy is back with us.

Don't know what to say about wells. Give you is all but so did Alex.

Think I'll leave it at that.

All the best Kieron

23/5/2020 6:52 AM  #56

Reeeeeeeeeeeeidyyyyyyyyyy....
Quality signing .

26/5/2020 4:24 PM  #57

Belper Town have revealed their player retention list, together with four new signings.

Steve McDonnell became the fourth new signing over the weekend, signing for the Nailers for the second successive summer having arrived from Worksop Town in 2019.  He made five substitute appearances for Belper before returning to the Tigers, where he was a regular starter last season.  The three other new faces are versatile defender Ben Rhodes, striker Danny Frost and former Ossett goalkeeper Leigh Overton.

Their retained list of 14 includes winger Nathan Curtis and full-back Josh Woodcock, who has made his loan switch from Lincoln City permanent.  New deals have also been offered to George Milner and Riece Bertram.  Defender Phil Watt departs to join Mickleover Sports, while Cameron Clark has decided not to re-commit to the club as he plans to go travelling in the New Year.

Retained

Ryan Musselwhite

Josh Woodcock

Danny South

Sam Wright

Derry Robson

Danny Gordon

Corey Gregory

Nathan Curtis

Brodie Litchfield

Alex Peterson

Steve Ridley

Charlie Dawes

Harley Kozluk

Yaya Dembele

New Signings

Ben Rhodes (Worksop Town)

Danny Frost (Stocksbridge PS)

Leigh Overton (Armthorpe Welfare)
Steve McDonnell (Worksop Town)

Offered terms (decision awaited)

George Milner

Riece Bertram  (now moved to Ilkeston Town)

Departed

Phil Watt (to Mickleover Sports)

Cameron Clark (unavailable)

27/5/2020 8:42 AM  #58

Ilkeston Town : Hopes for the 2020-21 Season

When the 2019-20 season ended prematurely Leek (72 points) and Stamford (70 points) were way ahead of the rest. Cleethorpes (57 points) were in third place and quite a way behind them were Belper (49 points) and Carlton (48 points).

Leek and Stamford are likely to retain most of last years players and will be ready to have another tilt at gaining promotion. 

Cleethorpes will be hoping that they can improve on last season’s points haul and at least get into the playoffs. 

Belper have lost a couple of players but will be hoping to make another playoff challenge.

Carlton were the surprise team of the 2019-20 season and looked likely to be in the playoffs. They look like retaining their last year’s players and are likely to be challenging again.  

Outside of the top five Sutton Coldfield finished strongly with six consecutive wins before losing to Stamford in their final match.  

So who else might be making a promotion challenge from outside last seasons top five. I wonder if any of last season’s top five have noticed that Ilkeston have been putting together a decent squad with a view to breaking into the playoff positions. 

It remains to be seen how well the new players will gel together but the 2020-21 season is certainly looking promising for Ilkeston supporters. Promotion is definitely the aim so our immediate target is finish in the top five. 

It won’t be easy with Leek and Stamford sure to provide stiff competition for the two promotion places.  

There are plenty of good sides in this league capable of taking points off us and the other promotion contenders. We will need to be at our best in every game and every point will have to be earned. No results can be taken for granted but I do feel next season is going to be a good one for Ilkeston fans.  

28/5/2020 8:01 AM  #59

Better news for Basford United. I presume we’re taking advantage of any funds, grants, bill and rate relief on offer?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/boost-historic-notts-football-club-4170023

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (28/5/2020 8:01 AM)

28/5/2020 1:25 PM  #60

Trowell Nicky wrote:

Better news for Basford United. I presume we’re taking advantage of any funds, grants, bill and rate relief on offer?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/boost-historic-notts-football-club-4170023

************************************************************

Good luck to our friends at Basford but any improvements there are likely to be small fry compared to what is happening at the NMG. I went down to the ground yesterday and the work being done is unbelievable. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to divulge all of the changes being made but suffice to say that a vast amount of money is being spent by the investors.

For example, the clocktower building has been completely gutted. The two offices upstairs have been knocked into one. The first team changing rooms are being massively upgraded. The old hospitality room is being converted into changing rooms for the Academy and the kitchen area is being converted into an additional matchday refreshment serving area.

The red paint around the ground is being renewed and there's loads of other major improvements being made. What I've described  is just a small part of the serious commitment by Andrew Nally and David Hilton to updating everything at the NMG.

Many people have said that Ilkeston had the best ground in the league. Soon there will be no doubting that.

Last edited by Matchman (28/5/2020 1:26 PM)

Board footera