WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/6/2020 7:17 AM  #1

Mickleover are no longer Sports

Mickleover In Name Change

Mickleover Sports will now be known as Mickleover FC. The move has been made to appeal to the growing population in the town, with the thought that the previous name was giving a misleading signal.

The club progressed from Derby Senior League football and were Central Midlands champions in 1998/99, moving up through the Northern Counties League and then the Northern Premier League.

Club secretary Tony Shaw said: "The present football club have now changed it’s name to Mickleover FC, as it was felt that many locals associated the club as a general sports club or even a private club. "But by changing the name we are hoping to widen our audience to the whole of the local area, appealing specifically to football enthusiasts.

"The club was established as Mickleover Old Boys in 1948, renaming to Mickleover Sports in 1992, coinciding with the move to their current home on Station Road.  

Last edited by Matchman (01/7/2020 7:37 PM)

03/6/2020 1:26 PM  #2

Re: Mickleover are no longer Sports

When Sports they changed their name in 1992 Mickleover RBL were still the senior team in the area but where unable to get permission to install lights at the Western Road ground. The management (including Tony Shaw) and many of the players decamped to Sports as they had permission to put up lights on their Station Road ground. I was programme editor at RBL but as I was watching ITFC I rarely went to their games (They did pay me to do the programme). This made match reports interesting as I usually just made them up. Sports never tried to recruit me though which was strange!!

Board footera