WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/8/2020 6:53 PM  #1

Pre-season friendly : Borrowash v Ilkeston - Sat 15 Aug : Live Updates

We're back !

A year ago (Sat 17th Aug) we played our first league match against Cleethorpes at the NMG which ended goalless.
This season it's a delayed start due to covid-19 and we play our first pre-season friendly at Borrowash Victoria without fans being able to attend.
Get twice the coverage by following the game's progress here on WhiteBallProject as well as on the ITFC twitter account. 

15/8/2020 1:50 PM  #2

Re: Pre-season friendly : Borrowash v Ilkeston - Sat 15 Aug : Live Updates

I have a team sheet with 22 names on it

Durrant
Brothwell
Maguire
Fenton
Bennett
Bertram
Cullingworth
Trialist
Watson
Brown-Hill
Troke
Staainsby
Trialist
Wilson
Marshall
Render
Trialist
Wright
Goodson
Lambert
Lee
Trialist

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 1:54 PM)

15/8/2020 2:01 PM  #3

A few Ilkeston fans are at the ground, They're being allowed to watch the game from outside the clubhouse. 
Both sides have big squads so we expect multiple changes throughout. 
Ilkeston are in blue and navy stripes. Borrowash are in red and white stripes. We're about to start.

15/8/2020 2:02 PM  #4

Borrowash to start.  We're off.........

15/8/2020 2:10 PM  #5

Early knock for Billy Bennett but he's ok. Joe Brothwell wearing No 2 looks strong. Ross comes along way out of his goal to intercept like a defender. Brilliant flick by Watson .  Alex Troke finds the net but he's penalised.  Even game so far.         0-0     10 mins

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 7:07 PM)

15/8/2020 2:18 PM  #6

Watson sends trialist away , pen appeal as trialist goes down but not given. Ollie Brown-Hill cross turned over bar by defender.   GOAL -   Watson glances in the corner.       1-0   17 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 6:35 PM)

15/8/2020 2:21 PM  #7

Correction  scorer Troke     Ilkeston settling down now and getting on top

15/8/2020 2:28 PM  #8

Good defending by Fenton. Pitch is bone-dry so the ball is bobbling about somewhat . Drinks break now taking place.       Borrowash 0 ilkeston 1        25 minutes

15/8/2020 2:37 PM  #9

We're off again.    Vics keeper has to race out to clear. GOAL Borrowash  1-1      31 minutes .
Mix up as defenders left it for each other and Vics forward took his chance well.   At the other end Bertram head hits the bar    

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 2:37 PM)

15/8/2020 2:47 PM  #10

Good move involving Brown-Hill and Troke. Free kick to Vics in good position.  Cleared,   Now free kick Ilkeston. Bertram header just too high.  Good effort Brown Hill which keeper can only parry. 

15/8/2020 2:55 PM  #11

Brown-Hill, Troke and Watson look a good combination. Terrific ball control by Brown -Hill.  Watson cross headed goalwards by Troke but keeper saves. Ilkeston corner but it's cleared.  Great diving save by Vics keeper keeps out Troke shot as half time whistle sounds 
Half time  -  Borrowash Vics  1  Ilkeston Town  1

15/8/2020 3:03 PM  #12

Ilkeston edged the first half on the bumpy pitch and had far more opportunities but it's 1-1. Plenty to be optimistic about  -  some good individual performances.  It's a different team in the second half But Durrant is still in goal.

Second half is underway .....

15/8/2020 3:15 PM  #13

Mason Lee header easily saved.  Lambert through ball cleared by keeper.  Good play by Alex Render.  Durrant forced into a good save.      1-1     55 minutes

15/8/2020 3:28 PM  #14

Ilkeston free kick 30 yards out. Lambert takes, Keeper pushes the shot out for a corner. Ilkeston No 12 looks decent,  may be a trialist.    Drinks break after 68 minutes.         still 1-1.

15/8/2020 3:36 PM  #15

Neither side look like scoring this half so far. Marshall, Render and number 12 looking solid in defence.  Good break by Goodson earns corner. 

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 3:36 PM)

15/8/2020 3:45 PM  #16

Vics  no 6 booked for heavy challenge.  Sorry to say not a lot happening . Defences definitely on top.

Last edited by Matchman (15/8/2020 3:46 PM)

15/8/2020 3:54 PM  #17

Corner to Ilkeston.  Half chance for Lambert but he sends it over the bar. Second half has been an anticlimax as both teams cancelled each other out. 

Result  -   Borrowash  1  Ilkeston  1

15/8/2020 6:59 PM  #18

The first half gave plenty of cause for optimism and for me these were the standout performers :  

Joe Brothwell arrived at the club from Quorn without fanfare but looked a big signing playing at right back.
Very impressed with Ollie Brown-Hill who surpassed my expectations with his speed and skill.
Kieran Fenton looked a much better player than he did last season.
Alex Troke was always involved playing in a forward position  

The second half was one of few chances with both defences on top : 

Central defender Alex Render looked confident and solid.
The Ilkeston No 2, (possibly a trialist) was my standout player (I think his name was Kyle). Very assured on the ball.

16/8/2020 7:27 AM  #19

Didn't go yesterday I was working at my daughter's . When I saw the result I was a tad disappointed but it's the first game . Was surprised to see a few trialists in he line up, any more news about them ?

16/8/2020 7:45 PM  #20

The result didn't matter. It was a case of giving all the players a chance to show what they could do in a match situation.
The strong first half team looked very good making plenty of chances and if we had kept the same players on for the second half, I'm sure we would have won convincingly.
It was clear to see that we have some very good players and James Reid wasn't there.  
The weaker second half team didn't look so good as a unit but for me the No. 2 stood out as a player definitely worth giving another chance. He played like a younger version of Fabian Smith. 
As games go by the squad will be reduced to around 16 to 18 players.
Must give some credit to Vics who put in a good performance 

Here are a few other pre-season friendly results  (good performances by Leek and Stamford but not so good for Cleethorpes, Belper and Carlton ) 
Stoke City U23s  0  Leek Town  1
Carlton Town   2  Long Eaton Utd  2
Belper Town  1  Pinxton  1
Stamford  9  Sleaford Town  0
North Ferriby  1  Cleethorpes  0
Penistone Church  1 Sheffield FC  0
Harrowby Utd  0  Lincoln Utd  0
Prescot Cables 3  Market Drayton  2
Wisbech Utd  1  Yaxley  2
Worksop Town  3  Parkgate  1

Board footera