WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/10/2020 8:21 PM  #1

Next three matches

Upcoming  matches :

Sat 24 Oct  FAC4Q  Hartlepool United           Home
Tue 27 Oct  NPL       Chasetown                    Home
Sat 31 Oct  FAT3Q   Rushden & Diamonds    Away  

Between now and the end of the month we have an FA Cup game and an FA Trophy game. With just one league match, to play, we will be 3 or 4 matches behind the other teams in the league and we will probably be in the lower half of the league table. That is the price of successful cup runs.  

All three of our games are really tough.  

We are certainly not expected to beat National League, Hartlepool United but you never know.

Chasetown have won all 3 of their away games;  Kidsgrove 1-0,  Belper 1-0,  Market Drayton 3-1. They also knocked Basford United out of the FA Cup. 

Rushden & Diamonds are currently 4th in the Southern League Premier Central (Step 3) 

23/10/2020 8:50 PM  #2

Re: Next three matches

Being realistic, we are likely to go out of the FA Cup and FA Trophy. If we were to get through in either of these two competitions, it will be a bonus.
So the one we really want to win is the league match against Chasetown on Tuesday night.  

The league is the priority and we need to put behind us the defeat at Newcastle.

25/10/2020 6:26 PM  #3

Two consecutive defeats and ten goals conceded needs to be turned round on Tuesday night.
If we were to lose to Chasetown and then to Rushden it will be four consecutive defats which would be a confidence destroyer. 

The Chasetown match has become a must win fixture and it won't be easy.

25/10/2020 6:55 PM  #4

I don’t see Chasetown as a must win. More a must not lose and most importantly a must not be so easy to score against

26/10/2020 10:56 AM  #5

Dick Durrant wrote:

I don’t see Chasetown as a must win. More a must not lose and most importantly a must not be so easy to score against

**************************************************************************

On reflection, you're probably right. A draw would not be disaster. As I think Brian Clough once said, "You have to stop a train rolling backwards before you can start going forwards again."  
Conceding ten goals in two matches doesn't look good but six of those goals were against exceptional opposition.
We all know that many of the goals we have conceded have been from counter attacks so we may see a more cautious approach against Chasetown. 
On the other hand, if we could score more goals, that would take pressure off the defence.
I think we have really missed Nat Watson up front. I really rate him and when he's fit again I think he will start to bang in the goals.

Board footera