WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/11/2020 12:14 PM  #1

Football Memories During the Lockdown

Academy Training Trip to Majorca 

During Nigel Harrop’s reign at Ilkeston FC, I was privileged to be offered a place on the Academy training trip to Majorca.  There was to be training every day and three matches against local teams. We stayed at a special football centre in the centre of Majorca about as far from the holiday resorts as possible. The place we stayed had a football pitch and training facilities. The  accommodation and meals were fine. There were a few non football guests also staying in the hotel so it was drilled into our academy players to show utmost respect at all times.
The Ilkeston FC Management consisted of Nigel Harrop, Kevin Wilson and Steve Chettle. The tour was very well organised and conducted very professionally. Transport was provided to take us to various training places and grounds including the Real Majorca stadium. I learned plenty from our two brilliant coaches Kevin Wilson and Steve Chettle, their training methods and the discipline they insisted upon. I was only there for the first week and during that time I learned of my father’s death. I was shown great compassion by Nigel, Kevin and Steve and offered an immediate flight home. One learns a lot about people when together for a period of time. I am forever grateful for the experience I had and the way I was treated by the management team and players.

09/11/2020 4:16 PM  #2

Re: Football Memories During the Lockdown

Four years ago this weekend (9th November 2016) Ilkeston lost 2-1 at Skelmersdale.  

This was the Ilkeston team : 
1 Durrant, 2 Kenworthy, 3 Coleman. 4 Morris, 5 Baker, 6 Bather, 7 Rose,  8 Shelton, 9 Lavelle-Moore, 10 Brown, 11 Gordon.
Subs : Goddard, Clarke, Gamblen, Meakin, Owen. 

Danny Gordon was making his 100th appearance.
Mark Shelton was given a yellow in the first half for a foul on a Skelmersdale player
Malachi Lavelle-Moore also received a yellow before equalising on 43 minutes.
Half time  :  Skelmersdale 1  Ilkeston  1
Mark Shelton was sent off after receiving a second yellow for supposedly diving after he was brought down.
Coach, Steve Welsh is barking instructions at Ilkeston’s ten men but Skelmersdale get the winner on 78 minutes.
Result  :   Skelmersdale 2  Ilkeston  1

09/11/2020 5:22 PM  #3

On 7th November 2017 Ilkeston entertained Dronfield in the Derbyshire Senior Cup. 

This was the Ilkeston team :
1 Deakin, 2 Fairclough, 3 Walker, 4 Shaw, 5 Hodgett-Young, 6 Tom Marshall, 7 Lench, 8 Wheatley, 9 Hopkinson, 10 Morris, 11 Smith.
Subs: 12 Alex Marshall, 14 Green, 15 Swinscoe, 16 G Simmons. 

8 minutes - Jamie Walker scores from a free kick.
Half time  :  Ilkeston  1  Dronfield  0
62 minutes - Tim Hopkinson scores with a volley
72 minutes - Tim Hopkinson scores with a header
Result :  Ilkeston  3  Dronfield  0
Attendance  272 

09/11/2020 5:29 PM  #4

On 10 November 2018 Ilkeston Town were home to AFC Wulfrunians in the Midland League. 

This was the Ilkeston Town team :
1 Liam Mitchell, 2 Tom Marshall, 3 Ryan Wheatley, 4 Chris Shaw, 5 Matt Baker, 6 Paulo Piliero, 7 Lavell White, 8 Kyle Dixon, 9 Elliott Reeves, 10 Reece Fyfe, 11Jamie Walker.
Subs  :  12 Tim Hopkinson, 14 Alex Marshall, 15 Jordan Wheatley, 16 Malachi Lavelle-Moore, 17 Conor Green. 

31 minutes  - Wulfrunians take the lead
44 minutes  - Elliott Reeves equalises
45 minutes  - Elliott Reeves scores again
Half time  :  Ilkeston Town  2  AFC Wulfrunians  1
65 minutes  -  Matt Baker scrambles a corner over the line
Result  :  Ilkeston Town 3  AFC Wulfrunians  1
Attendance  520  

09/11/2020 10:34 PM  #5

You have started something here! I am going to be raiding my paperwork and files to dig up some November memories!

10/11/2020 9:05 AM  #6

On 9 November 2019 (last year) Ilkeston Town were away to Lincoln United in the Northern Premier League.
This was the Ilkeston Town team :
1 Ross Durrant, 2 Tom Marshall, 3 Ryan Campbell-Gordon, 4 Fabian Smith, 5 Chris Robertson, 6 Kieran Fenton, 14 Massiah McDonald, 8 Jermain Hollis, 9 Alex Marshall, 10 Reece Fyfe, 11 Jamie Walker.
Subs : 12 Shaun Harrad, 13 Richard Stainsby, 7 Rod Orlando-Young, 15 Dean Freeman, 16 Mason Lee. 

Match Report :
Lincoln United  2  Ilkeston Town  2
Mason Lee rescued a point for Ilkeston four minutes into added time after the Robins had been reduced to ten players. Alex Marshall put Ilkeston ahead on 14 minutes only for Lincoln to equalise a minute later. Ilkeston were generally in charge but Lincoln keeper Tom Nicholson was in outstanding form and made several crucial saves. Ilkeston’s inability to turn dominance into goals nearly cost them dearly but in a rousing finish they deservedly levelled. The first half was played at a furious pace. Marshall headed Ilkeston ahead but Jack Wightwick quickly equalised turning in a low left wing cross. Durrant saved well from Jonathan Williams while Massiah McDonald and then Jamie Walker were both denied by exceptional Nicholson saves before half time.
Ilkeston started the second half strongly and Lincoln were pinned back with Nicholson making more vital saves, first from a Marshall header and then winning a one on one with McDonald. After several Ilkeston misses, Lincoln gradually weathered the storm. Then came the rather harsh red card for Alex Marshall on 70 minutes. Lincoln took advantage of their extra player and started to make a few chances. Ten minutes from time Wightwick raced through and scored a fine goal to give Lincoln the lead. Ilkeston were stung into a desperate search for an equaliser. Lincoln were defending well and Ilkeston’s ten men were being kept at bay. A chance fell for Shaun Harrad in added time but his shot was too high and it looked like Ilkeston’s last chance was gone. Then in the 94th minute the ball fell to Mason Lee who unleashed an unstoppable shot high into the net which Nicholson was unable to get to. Although it was a last gasp equaliser it was the least Ilkeston deserved but the Lincoln players didn’t take kindly to conceding and Jonathan Williams was shown a red card after the final whistle. For the many travelling Ilkeston supporters the draw must have felt like a win. 

Lincoln United's Match Report :
WHITES DROP TWO POINTS
Lincoln United 2 Ilkeston Town 2
The Whites came into this game following two matches lost through bad weather and a heavy home defeat against Kidsgrove. The visitors were flying high in the league and brought a good contingent of fans to boost the gate. This was clearly going to be a stern task for United. Mark Gray was still under suspension, and Charlie West, Ryan Hollingsworth, and Jock Curran came into the starting eleven .United made a promising start but it was Town who broke the deadlock in the 13th minute. Striker Alex Marshall converted a free kick crossed into the goalmouth. Home fans might have feared the worst but Jack Wightwick had other ideas when he outrageously back-heeled the equaliser from around eight yards only two minutes later. Chances were created at each end but in truth the away side had the majority of possession and had more opportunities to take the lead again. Tom Nicholson in the Whites goal was in inspired form and made a series of saves when all look lost. He was almost a certainty for man of the match with around an hour gone.Then a fine competitive game burst into life even more when Marshall challenged Kallum Smith dangerously and was sent off. Minutes later Jack Wightwick raced through to give United the lead with only nine minutes to go. The Whites looked to be holding out without too much difficulty but in a goalmouth scramble in added time away substitute Mason Lee lashed the ball home to give his side a valuable point .At the final whistle tempers were lost and players and staff from both sides pushed and shoved each other while the officials tried to calm things down. Midfielder Jonathan Williams was shown a post-match red card as was a member of the Ilkeston non-playing staff. This was two points lost for Lincoln United but to be fair a draw was a very good outcome bearing in mind the periods where Ilkeston were on top. It was a fine performance by the lads in White and the effort and spirit was great to see. A good crowd of 225 people attended the game which was a compelling watch from start to finish. Jack Wightwick and Nicholson were joint Men of the Match and this accolade was much deserved as was the praise the rest of the squad received from Whites officials and supporters alike. 

10/11/2020 10:55 AM  #7

I remember this game very well! It was fiesty
to say the least. Lincoln United as a club seemed to implode after this game but have since been taken over and seem to be back on the right track. It is interesting to note who from our squad is still with us. By my reckoning Ross Durrant, Richard Stainsby, Mason Lee are now our longest serving players with Kieran Fenton not far behind. I may have missed somebody who did not play in this game but I cannot think who? It would be interesting as well to work out who presently at the club has made most appearance fro all the versions of Ilkeston Town/FC between Joe Maguire, James Reid and Ross Durrant.

10/11/2020 11:32 AM  #8

Unfortunately November 2016 was a time when relations between Ilkeston FC and The Supporters Group was at its lowest ebb. The Club lost faith with the Supporters Group and the Supporters Group didn’t trust the Football Club. The IFCSG forum regrettably became a place to hurl insults. Longstanding supporters fell out with each other and it’s taken four years and the return of good times for the wounds to be healed.  

12/11/2020 9:33 AM  #9

Battles with Walsall Wood 

2017-18 season Midland League  Division One 

9th December 2017 -  Ilkeston Town  3  Walsall Wood  2
Sam Agar           8 minutes      0-1
Jamie Walker    43 minutes     1-1
Paul Sullivan     48 minutes     1-2
Montel Gibson  59  minutes    2-2
Montel Gibson  72 minutes     3-2

Ilkeston Team: 1 Ian Deakin, 2 Lavell White, 3 Jamie Walker, 4 Chris Shaw, 5 Charlie Jemson, 6 Tom Marshall, 7 Micah Edwards, 8 Jordan Wheatley, 9 Alex Marshall, 10 Montel Gibson, 11 Billy Bennett.
Subs : 12 Tim Hopkinson, 14 Martin Lench, 15 Ben Fairclough, 16 Elliott Hodgett-Young, 17 Ben Morris.  

24th April 2018  -  Walsall Wood  1 Ilkeston Town 4
Westwood           3 minutes     0-1
Tim Hopkinson    6 minutes     1-1
Beb Fairclough   17 minutes    2-1
Tim Hopkinson    70 minutes   3-1
Charlie Jemson   80 minutes   4-1

Ilkeston team :  Jamie Hannis, Ben Fairclough, Jamie Walker, Chris Shaw, Charlie Jemson,  Tom Marshall,  Jordan Wheatley,  Alex Marshall, Tim Hopkinson, Billy BennettSubs : Clarke, Green, Morris, Lavelee-Moore, Swinscoe.  

2018-19  season  Midland League Premier Division  

19th August 2018  -  Walsall Wood 0  Ilkeston Town  2

Kyle Dixon        68 minutes     1-0  
Alex Marshall    84 minutes     2-0

Ilkeston team :  1 Liam Mitchell, 2 Ryan Wheatley, 3 Chris Shaw, 4 Kyle Dixon, 5 Charlie Jemson, 6 Tom Marshall, 7 Lavell White, 8 Billy Bennett, 9 Elliott Reeves, 10 Tim Hopkinson, 11 Jamie Walker.
Subs : 12 Jordan Wheatley, 17 Ryan Whitehurst, 14 Alex Marshall, 15 Ben Morris, 16 Malachi Lavelle-Moore.  

20th April 2019  -   Ilkeston Town  0  Walsall Wood  4
Kyle Rowley     12 minutes          0-1
???????           24 minutes          0-2
Javia Roberts   28 minutes          0-3
Kaylum Mitchell   70 minutes       0-4
Attendance 1587
Ilkeston Town team:1 Liam Mitchell, 2 Tom Marshall, 3 Billy Bennett, 4 Fabian Smith, 5 Matt Baker, 6 Chris Shaw (C), 7 Lavell White, 8 Jermain Hollis, 9 Elliott Reeves, 10 Alex Marshall, 11 Jamie Walker.
Subs :  12 Kyle Dixon, 14 Rod Orlando-Young, 15 Tim Hopkinson, 16 Reece Fyfe, 17 Kyle Perry.    

The 4-0 home defeat almost cost us promotion. The Walsall Wood players and management were convinced that they had clinched the single promotion spot after their big win at the NMG. I watched as their Chairman hugged every player in the dining room after the game. Indeed their win put them in pole position with both teams on same points and Wood with a superior goal difference and just two games each to play.
Wood still had to play Sporting Khalsa. They did really well to win that game but we hammered Dunkirk to swing goal difference back in our favour. So promotion was decided on the final Saturday of the season. Walsall Wood played bottom club Wolverhampton Sporting but could only manage a 3-0 win whereas we scored eight against Loughborough University.

12/11/2020 11:32 AM  #10

Who can remember the away match at Hinckley when the superb Steve Hart destroyed us in the second half 

24th February 2018  -  Midland League  Division One
Hinckley  4  Ilkeston Town  2 
23 minutes     Tim Hopkinson    1-0
37 minutes      ??????               2-0
H T   Hinckley  0  Ilkeston Town  2
47 minutes      Steve Hart          1-2
50 minutes      Steve Hart          2-2
69 minutes      Steve Hart          2-3
90 minutes      Steve Hart          2-4
F T   Hinckley  4  Ilkeston Town  2   

Let's give some credit to Hinckley for turning the game round after being totally outplayed in the first half. No one could have foreseen the transformation. Despite the fact that Hinckley scored four goals in the second half, Ilkeston had the majority of possession but whereas Ilkeston couldn't break through the uncompromising Hinckley defence, the home side were clinical on the break. It was a superb day for Steve Hart who scored all four of Hinckley's goals.
From Ilkeston's point of view it was similar to the defeat at Studley in that supporters were left thinking that we should have won.   I watched the game away from the media area and among supporters of both sides but mainly surrounded by Hinckley supporters. When reading back my posts I thought maybe I had been too biased regarding some of the Hinckley physicallity in the second half. However after listening to Steve Chelltle's after match interview it appears that my comments were quite justified. Like Steve, my thoughts during the game were, “What do you have to do to get a red card?” Steve mentioned the high challenge on Jamie Walker who appeared to be singled out for particularly harsh treatment. The incident that incensed me most was the deliberate kick at Ben Fairclough when he was on the ground with the ball underneath him. It was definitely a vicious kick aimed at Fairclough rather than going for the ball. I had a perfect view of it and so did the linesman in front of me. Unfortunately the referee seemed reluctant to show a red card which surely would have calmed things down and given protection to the more creative players. Ilkeston's away fans certainly experienced the highs and lows of being a football supporter in the last two matches. After the euphoria of the win against Leicester Road came the disappointment of defeat yesterday in difficult to take circumstances. You have to be disappointed when you lose a two goal lead but from what I saw our supporters were a credit in defeat.

12/11/2020 8:25 PM  #11

Steve Hart scores against us again  

2nd February 2019  -  Quorn  2  Ilkeston Town  0 
39 minutes     Bob Moseley     0-1
60 minutes     Steve Hart         0-2 

Ilkeston’s poor away form continued on the 3G surface at Quorn. The home side scored in each half to inflict a damaging defeat on the league leaders. This latest reverse meant Ilkeston have now failed to win any of their last five away games (3 draws and 2 defeats). Quorn were happy to soak up pressure from Ilkeston then hit them on the break and they did this throughout the  game. The game started in bright sunshine despite the cold. Ilkeston made the early running and Elliott Reeves found the net after only six minutes but the referee’s assistant had flagged for an infringement. This was followed by a Reeves header off target and Kyle Dixon firing wide after a penetrating run. Jamie Walker had a shot saved before Steve Hart hit the post for Quorn when he looked sure to score. When Hart’s shot rebounded back into the area, Liam Mitchell was on hand to save the follow up. Five minutes later Ilkeston hit the woodwork following a good move involving Walker and Reeves. Walker then had Ilkeston’s best opportunity so far but fired over from close range when following up after a fine Haydn Whitcombe save. On 39 minutes Quorn scored on the break as they had been threatening to do. Bobby Moseley latched onto a through ball and slid the ball past the outrushing Mitchell. Just before half time Ilkeston spurned another good opportunity. This time it was Reece Fyfe who broke free after receiving a pass from Reeves but placed his shot wide so Ilkeston ended the half behind despite having had more chances. After the restart Dixon had a shot blocked then had Whitcombe scrambling across his line but his curling shot from outside the area drifted wide. Hart had a chance for Quorn but his volley flashed by the post. Whitcombe then made a fine fingertip save turning Tom Marshall’s shot round the post. Then on 60 minutes Hart showed why he is the league's leading scorer when he scored with a stunning low drive into the corner of the Ilkeston net. Ilkeston responded by throwing more players forward but Quorn were frequently catching them on the break. Kai Tonge’s shot was saved by Mitchell before Billy Bennett fired over from distance for the Robins. Whitcombe saved well from Reeves as Ilkeston kept pushing for a way back but Quorn were breaking with menace and looking dangerous on each occasion. There were a couple of big scrambles in the Quorn goalmouth but the ball wouldn’t fall Ilkeston’s way. Reeves was close with a header that went just the wrong side of the post but on 90 minutes Quorn should have scored again when David Kolodynski raced through. Mitchell parried his effort and Tonge following up blazed over. Ilkeston were left to reflect on the chances they missed in the first half. Quorn defended really well in the second half and were worthy winners.   

I remember the Ilkeston supporters giving Steve Hart a lot of stick but when he scored his superb goal he was warmly applauded.

13/11/2020 9:18 AM  #12

These are posts on WhiteBall at the time of Ilkeston FC’s liquidation when there was much speculation about who the Club’s new owners would be

Ilkeston Football Club are now in the hands of the liquidators who I presume will be either looking for a buyer for the clubs assets or just working out their bill whilst picking over the bones of the second Ilkeston club to go bust over the last seven years. The chances of anybody buying the assets as a football club are slimmer than slim! My thoughts go out to all the creditors and those who are owed wages etc and hopefully they will get something back! The position of the Ilkeston Academy which is a different company is unknown but its continued existence must be in doubt!It look unlikely that there will be any senior football at the NMG next season but the Ilkeston United Community Football Club will no doubt be lobbying hard for use of the ground for the season 2018/19!Maybe one day the truth will be able to be told and maybe some people will be better though of and some people will not! Most fans realise that it is the future that is the more important thing! The reputation of football in Ilkeston cannot get much lower and there will be a lot of repair work to be done! 

According Companies House a new company was set up yesterday called Ilkeston Town Football Club! A company called Woodberry Secretarial Ltd are involved and they have five directors. One of them is a Michael Duke who is an administrator by trade and has been a director of over three thousand companies and nearly all he has resigned the same day he was appointed! Woodberry have two active directors in Neil Dolby aged 47 and David Kaye 66. Michael Duke has resigned as have Simon Evans aged 36 and Barbara Kahan who is 86! Michael Duke is registered as Ilkeston Town Football Clubs sole director!If it makes sense to any one out there please let us know what you think is happening!It does appear that there still could be football at the NMG next season. This leaves Ilkeston United Community Football Club left in limbo somewhat! 

Posters on the excellent Tony Kempster NonLeague Matters website have informed that the names I have given in the forming of new club Ilkeston Town Football Club are probably are Company Formation Agents who form a company on a persons behalf of another party! "Woodberry and Kahan sound like company formation agents. Such agents just go through the formalities of setting up and registering a company on behalf of their clients then immediately step down as founding directors before passing the newly-formed company over to them." Posted by Paulh66.Indeed Barbara Kahan has been a director of over 30,000 companies apparently! Now that's a bit clearer all we need to do now is wait until the actual real owner identify him or herself! 

When the owner /owners of the newly formed company ILKESTON TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED is /are revealed then the future of football in Ilkeston may become clearer. If they are successful with their takeover bid then supporters can look forward to playing again this coming season (albeit at non league step 6). It is not a certainty that they will get the nod from the Liquidators but they have quietly and skilfully manoeuvred themselves into pole position. The Liquidators always act in the best interests of the creditors. Apparently another party has now shown an interest and the Supporters Group have already registered an offer but neither of these would be able to play this coming season. They would have to wait until season 2018/19 and they would start at one rung lower at non league level 7. The Supporters Group are still optimistic that their hard work and plans to start a community club could win the day. An announcement should be made very soon.  

From Mark Duffy's Advertiser report we now know that the Liquidators have put the case of two serious bidders to the landlords of the NMG, Erewash Borough Council for them to decide who is best to form a new football cub in the town. The proposed new club being formed by IFCSG is not one of them.The report also says that it is extremely likely that a club will be playing at the New Manor Ground this coming season.

14/11/2020 8:35 AM  #13

The Alan Hardy Years 2017-18 and 2018-19 

May 2018 : Ilkeston Town Promoted to Step 5

Ilkeston have been promoted to Step 5 of the pyramid and will play in the Midland Football League Premier Division. Sadly Heanor Town have passed us on the way down and have taken voluntary relegation to step 6 and they will play in the East Midlands Counties League. Our local derby is likely to be against Dunkirk! 

Apparently Tividale of the West Midlands Regional league have appealed against Ilkeston being promoted ahead of them.
Tividale's record last season was P38, W28, D5, L5, GF 121, GA 49, Pts 89   (points per game : 2.34 )
Ilkeston's record was  P42, W30, D5, L7, GF 107, GA 46, Pts 95 (points per game : 2.26 ) 
Tividale’s appeal is on the grounds that they have a better points per game score than Ilkeston.
An appeal on these grounds was always a possibility. Hope the FA don't take long to come to a decision. 

Tividale’s appeal is rejected and Ilkeston Town’s promotion is confirmed  

Thank you to Alan Hardy for rescuing us 
Thank you to the Midland Football League for giving us a league to play in last season
Thank you to the officials of all of the MFL Division One teams who welcomed us.
Thank you to our supporters who follow us home and away 
Football is about ups and down, joy and disappointment. Nothing is for ever and nothing can be taken for granted but 2017-18 has been a fantastic season giving optimism that even better is still to come.  

May 2019 : Ilkeston Town Promoted to Step 4 

After promotion from the Midland Football League Division One at the end of the 2017-18 season, not many fans would have envisaged us getting promoted again this season. No one was sure of the standard of the MFL Premier Divison. As it turned out, we got off to a good start and soon hit the top of the table and stayed there. It was quickly evident that we could hold our own at this new level. Confidence became so high that fans at one stage were thinking in terms of us going for four trophies, the League, FA Vase, Derbyshire Senior Cup and League Cup. That wasn't to be but we did win the League, the one we wanted most. There were plenty of ups and downs over the season. Major disappointments were the cup exits against Belper United in the Derbyshire Senior Cup and Eastwood in the FA Vase. The Club had three different managers and many players came and went.  We could have finished the season with nothing but two immense performances in our last two games meant we ended on a high with the top prize.   After promotion from the Midland Football League Division One at the end of the 2017-18 season, not many fans would have envisaged us getting promoted again this season. No one was sure of the standard of the MFL Premier Divison. As it turned out, we got off to a good start and soon hit the top of the table and stayed there. It was quickly evident that we could hold our own at this new level. Confidence became so high that fans at one stage were thinking in terms of us going for four trophies, the League, FA Vase, Derbyshire Senior Cup and League Cup. That wasn't to be but we did win the League, the one we wanted most. There were plenty of ups and downs over the season. Major disappointments were the cup exits against Belper United in the Derbyshire Senior Cup and Eastwood in the FA Vase. The Club had three different managers and many players came and went.  We could have finished the season with nothing but two immense performances in our last two games meant we ended on a high with the top prize.   

With just four matches left Ilkeston needed ten points from four matches to be sure of promotion. Saturday 6th April we were home to Highgate United who had beaten us on their ground. This was our penultimate home game and there was a reduced admission price of just £2 with the Club donating half of the gate receipts to MacMillan Cancer Support. The public responded and we had a gate of 950. The team also responded and Highgate were beaten 4-1. Jermain Hollis scored his first goal for the Club and was highly praised by manager Lee Fowler for his contribution since his arrival. Reco Fyfe scored the second before half time and Elliott Reeves added two more in the second half. 

Our rivals, Walsall Wood won a tough game at Romulus with a late goal so we remained just three points ahead of them. 

Next up was the all important clash between the top two. If Ilkeston could win they would be six points ahead of Walsall Wood with just two games left. If Walsall Wood won they would then become favourites to grab the single promotion spot. The game was well publicised and 1587 fans turned up to watch the match. Wood were by far the better team on the day and we were three goals down by half time. It was one of those games when nothing went right for Ilkeston. Elliott Reeves was brought down in the area on the hour. A penalty was given and the Walsall Wood defender was sent off. It seemed that we had a way back into the game. Alas, Jamie Walker’s penalty was saved and shortly after Wood scored a fourth goal.

It was the worst possible result for us. The teams were now level on points and Wood had turned round our plus six goal difference advantage to a two goal difference in their favour. It was a shattering blow to our prospects and we now faced missing out after being in top spot for nearly all of the season.

Two days later on Easter Monday we were away at already relegated Dunkirk and we not only needed to win but win by as big a margin as possible. Walsall Wood had what looked like a more difficult match against Sporting Khalsa.

In front of hundreds of fans who made the short journey, we did what we needed to, in order to give ourselves a chance on the final Saturday. A 7-0 win was a fantastic effort. Rod Orlando-Young made his first start and was our man of the match and put us ahead. Tim Hopkinson and Jamie Walker made it 3-0 by half time. Ilkeston totally dominated the second half and added further goals by Kyle Perry, Alex Marshall, Lavell White and Tim Hopkinson to complete the rout.

Walsall Wood won 1-0 to stay level on points but the size of our win had given us hope that if we could beat Loughborough University in our final match then maybe we could achieve promotion on goal difference.

So Ilkeston and Walsall Wood’s destiny was to be decided on the last Saturday of the season. Walsall Wood were home to bottom club Wolverhampton Sporting and were expected to win big whereas Ilkeston had a more difficult looking away game at Loughborough. If both Ilkeston and Walsall Wood won then Wood needed their winning margin to be five goals better than Ilkeston’s to clinch promotion.

675 spectators were at Loughborough University’s excellent Holywell Stadium, and around 500 of them were from Ilkeston. After a nervous opening period Reco Fyfe put Ilkeston ahead when his in-swinging corner found the net on 13 minutes. That was the spark needed and Ilkeston became an unstoppable force. Three minutes after Fyfe’s opener, Rod Orlando-Young crossed for Kyle Perry to send in a bullet header. After another three minutes it was 3-0. Again Orlando-Young was the provider setting up Fyfe for his second. Jamie Walker added a fourth on the half hour and Ilkeston had a dream half time lead. In the second half Fyfe completed his hat-trick and further goals followed by Walker and Orlando-Young to make it 7-0. Loughborough pulled one back two minutes from time but Ilkeston had the last word when Fabian Smith completed the scoring.

The 8-1 scoreline was far beyond the expectations of the most optimistic Ilkeston supporter. Walsall Wood won as expected but only by 3-0 so Ilkeston were Champions and promoted on goal difference.

For anyone who did not attend the presentation evening, these were the main winners: 
Golden Boot Winner: Elliott Reeves
The Managers Player of the Year: Jermain Hollis
The Players Player of the Year: Elliott Reeves
Club Special Award for Outstanding Contribution by a non-player: Harry Worgan
Supporters Group Player Of The Year (Winner): Elliott Reeves (Runner up): Liam Mitchell, (Third Place: Tom Marshall)
Supporters Group Special Award For Outstanding Contribution: Chris Shaw  

Board footera