WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/2/2021 5:42 PM  #1

This time last year

A year ago Ilkeston lost at Sutton Coldfield and Joe Maguire played his first match following his return to the club. 

Match Report :
Sat 8th February 2020
Northern Premier League, South East Division

Sutton Coldfield Town  3  Ilkeston Town  1
Joe Maguire marked his return to Ilkeston with a goal at Sutton Coldfield but it wasn’t enough as the hosts ran out 3-1 winners. Ilkeston started well but went behind to a Isai Marselia goal which gave Sutton the impetus to dominate the rest of the half. James Beresford added a second but Maguire gave Ilkeston hope with a header in first half added time. However it turned out to be false hope as Sutton restored their two goal advantage within two minutes of the restart. Ilkeston more than held their own for the rest of the game but could not add to their solitary goal. 
As expected the 3G pitch made for a lively game with the ball swinging quickly from one end to the other. Ilkeston had good possession early on but it was Sutton who went ahead with an excellent near post header by Marselia on 12 minutes. Marselia then had a good chance to double Sutton’s lead when one on one with Ross Durrant but Ilkeston’s keeper blocked the shot with his boot.  Durrant then rescued Ilkeston again saving well from the lively Marselia but on 27 minutes Sutton went two up through James Beresford following a corner. Ilkeston nearly got one back on 42 minutes when Alex Marshall knocked the ball past Sutton keeper Lewis Gwilliams but the ball clipped the outside of the post. Ben Usher-Shipway created a chance for Sutton but Ilkeston went up the other end and won a corner from which Maguire made it 2-1.
The second half started disastrously for Ilkeston when Reece Gibson found himself free and expertly lobbed over Durrant and into the net. Despite the setback, Ilkeston fought their way back into the game and a Marshall header was saved by Gwilliams and a Wells header went wide but although Ilkeston were enjoying more possession Sutton almost scored a fourth following a swift counter attack led by Okoro Chinedu. Reco Fyfe saw his powerful shot go over then on 80 minutes Ilkeston were awarded a penalty when Kole Lambert was brought down. Unfortunately Alex Marshall’s shot was saved and any chance of a point was gone. Maguire went close from a free kick near the end when his shot was deflected inches wide. 

These were some comments on WhiteBall after the game

Matchman
Ilkeston supporters had to endure another disappointing defeat at Sutton Coldfield and some of the fans are beginning to voice their frustration.   Ilkeston made a decent start to the season but have now won only 2 of their last 16 matches.    On the 2nd November we were 2nd in the league (admittedly after having played 3 games more than most other teams) but now we’re in danger of finishing in the bottom six.  Martin Carruthers came in as manager and there have been numerous players come and gone. So what has gone wrong?     

WhiteBallProject
I think Ilkeston's dip in form is down to a number if factors.
1. We were in a false position due to having played a lot more games than other teams. 
2. We played some teams poor teams or teams who were going through a very bad patch i.e.. Frickley A.
3. Winning breeds confidence!
4. We went through a spell of playing teams at the top of the table. This spell yielded very few points (one out of five I think).
5. A lot of changes have been made to the squad so continuity is lacking which has hindered results.
6. We are a bit lacking in a few vital positions and the quality players we need may be not available at this time in the season.
7. Finally I think the confidence to take risks in games has dipped due to playing well but seemingly not getting any breaks. 
Against Sutton Coldfield Town I thought we played really well until we got near their goal then we looked anxious and nervous. Saying that we did look a bit nervous at the back early on as well. I agree we cannot keep on saying they just need a victory so they can kick on but I do think there is some mileage in that statement. The players are good enough so perhaps it might just a bit more self belief is needed!   

Matchman
This was our team at Sutton Coldfield :
1 Ross Durrant, 2 Fabian Smith, 3 Billy Bennett, 4 Tom Marshall, 5 Alex Render, 6 Joe Maguire, 7 James Cullingworth, 8 Kieran Fenton, 9 Kieran Wells, 10 Mason Lee, 11 Fernando Bell-Toxtle.Subs : 12 Kole Lambert, 14 Alex Marshall, 15 Reece Fyfe, 16 Joe Wilson, 17/GK Richard Stainsby. 
Although we are conceding goals I think the defence is ok. I think our problem is lack of creativity up front. If we had a better attack, then it would relieve the pressure at the back. At the moment I think we are very lightweight and we are very reliant on Kieran Wells to score for us.  In my opinion what we need is two good wingers who can get down the flanks and cross the ball. We did have two decent wingers in Rod Orlando-Young and Jamie Walker who have left and not been replaced.  At Sutton Coldfield we started with only two recognised forwards; Kieran Wells and Mason Lee and it seemed like we were asking several players to play in positions they are not best at. I would not criticise any individual player for lack of effort but the team as a whole is not functioning properly. I don't envy Martin Carruthers in trying to turn round results with the current squad of players.  I thought Joe Maguire had an excellent debut and was close to being Ilkeston's man of the match but that accolade must go to Ross Durrant who kept us in the game on several occasions.  I know it's not easy to sign players at this stage of the season but if we are to attempt to get in the playoffs next season then in my opinion we must bring in at least one talented attacking wide man.   .

Alex
We have one good winger John in Reco but we have played him in the centre all season. The defence hasn't been the same since Fenton turned up   

kevilsonlad 
I thought for first twenty minutes we were ok . Having quite a lot of the ball but no final product as in any shots at goal. Then two obsoletely terrible corners from Fabian . I got that pissed I went into the clubhouse and guess what Fabian puts a perfect one in ....goal.I didn't get to watch the second half much especially when we got the penno. 15/20 kids game over from their end to give us loads of abuse . They were fine when singing at the other end . I complained to a steward WHEN they finally appeared but got laughed at and told to go away. When I complained again I got told …they're only kids . So why did some our fans feel they had to move away ????

Last edited by Matchman (11/2/2021 5:52 PM)

Board footera