WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/2/2021 8:35 AM  #1

Robbie Dale

In this week's Non-League Paper there is an article about Robbie Dale who brought an end to his career last year after making 680 appearances and scoring 212 goals for Blyth Spartans.  Dale helped Spartans to two Northern Premier League titles as well as appearing in the FA Cup third round twice. He made national headlines on the second occasion when he scored twice against Birmingham City in a 3-2 defeat. He is widely recognised as one of the best players never to have played professional football. 

It is planned that Dale’s achievements be remembered with a 20 foot wall mural outside the ground costing £5000.  

Ilkeston have had a few memorable battles against Blyth Spartans both home and away. Those who have travelled to Croft Park will remember having to negotiate the narrow streets full of parked cars as you approach the ground. 

I can remember one night match on the Northumberland coast when it was the coldest I’ve ever been at a football match.  

I can recall winning there on one occasion when I think it was Ash Hunter who scored the winner but  probably the most memorable match against Spartans was at the New Manor Ground. Our young team were given no chance against the league leaders but incredibly they went three goals up in the first half. Blyth fought their way back into the match and despite heroic Ilkeston defending they equalised just before the 90 minutes were up. As if that wasn’t disappointing enough Robbie Dale scored a Spartans winner well into added time.

Last edited by Matchman (17/2/2021 10:26 AM)

Board footera