WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/2/2021 9:31 AM  #1

Brian Dennett very poorly

FEBRUARY 1, 2021

Carlton Town are tonight devastated to report that their popular and much loved Commercial Manager Brian Dennett is back in hospital after contracting Covid 19 following his recent release from hospital. Brian’s sister Lynn was in touch with Chairman Mick Garton this afternoon to break the bad news and Garton told us ” Brian was released from hospital following his recent emergency operation following his fall and many broken ribs, only to find his partner had died while he was in hospital”. “He was released into a care home and i know a few people at the club including myself and Tommy have spoken to him in recent days, but the sad news is, the Care home as had a Covid outbreak and both Brian and his son who moved him in to the accommodation now have Covid”. “Brian collapsed over the weekend and was taken to Hospital in Derby and although struggling with his breathing and feeling pretty awful , he was well enough this afternoon to take a call from me and I don’t mind admitting, it was pretty emotional”
“Both myself and Lynn feel he needs some positive voices right now, so we would ask that all of you out there that know him and care about him, give him a ring on 07850 234543 to try and boost his spirits as he fights the battle of his life”
“I know this is a unusual request, but these are not normal times and Brian needs us all right now to show our love and support for him” concluded the Millers Chairman. 

Thought I would reproduce this as a lot of Ilkeston staff and supporters will know him. Although Brian is a Carlton official, he is often seen at the New Manor Ground. I think he may live in the Ilkeston area. He is a lovely friendly man who loves to talk football. I really hope he makes a full recovery.

Last edited by Matchman (02/2/2021 12:20 PM)

02/2/2021 2:44 PM  #2

Re: Brian Dennett very poorly

Wishing Brian a speedy recovery and i hope he like us all will get to watching non league football again soon. 

15/2/2021 9:37 AM  #3

A BIG THANKYOU TO THE CARLTON TOWN FAMILY AS BRIAN FIGHTS FOR HIS LIFE

We are sad to report that Brian Dennett as taken a turn for the worse and his now fighting for his life in hospital.The family were called in at the weekend and sat with him in what doctors thought could be his last few hours, but he valiantly battles on, bravery fighting the awful Covid 19 virus.
The family are devastated that Brian was not given the vaccine after his major operation following his nasty fall but he was 79 instead of 80 his sister Lynn told us so was not vaccinated as it wasn’t his turn yet in terms of the age groups, but instead he was sent to a care home where he later caught Covid 19, he was vaccinated there, but by then he had already caught it.
Lynn said the family were extremely grateful for all the phone calls Brian received following a plea on this website. “It showed him how much he was loved by all his football friends and he really appreciated it” said Lynn.
The family and of course everyone involved with Carlton Town are praying for him , sitting and waiting for hopefully better news. 

Last edited by Matchman (15/2/2021 9:38 AM)

15/2/2021 4:33 PM  #4

i sent a picture of our flag and all our best wishes ..... sad news he`s taken a turn for the worse ...

15/2/2021 7:45 PM  #5

PLEA FOR VIDEO MESSAGES FOR BRIAN AS CONDITION WORSENS!

This website is sad to report that after a more upbeat report from Tommy, Brian as sadly taken a turn for the worse over the weekend with blood clots on his lungs, and close friend Phil Jennings and Sister Lynn have urged players and friends from the club and from the bigger football family to send him video messages.  
Brian was able to take calls from Tommy and Club President Roger Smith last week and hopes were raised after a difficult weekend and the latest news is another setback, but Brian’s family will be able to show him any messages that come through in between his periods on the oxygen and hope it will boost his spirits during the difficult days ahead.Brian’s number is 07850 234543 and he can receive the video messages by whats App. 

This is a good picture of Brian. I'm sure many people would have seen him at the NMG. I'm really hoping that he manages to pull through. He's really nice person with a good knowledge of non league football and he has an empathy with all local clubs. 

Thank you for messenging him Kev. I messaged him too so he's had at least two goodwill messages from Ilkeston.

Last edited by Matchman (16/2/2021 9:24 AM)

25/2/2021 7:40 PM  #6

FEBRUARY 25, 2021

TRIBUTES POUR IN FOR MUCH LOVED BRIAN FOLLOWING HIS SAD PASSING!

• Carlton Town Chairman Mick Garton says he can not remember a day when he received so many text messages and pretty much all of them were about one man!

This website is devastated to comfirm the news that Carlton’s much loved Commercial Manager Brian Dennett passed away last night after contracting Covid 19.  Brian had been with the club pretty much throughout Garton’s tenure first as Press Officer before being promoted to Commercial Manager over a decade ago.  “He was a brilliant Commercial Manager who raised thousands for this football club, but more than anything a close friend and he will leave a big hole in so many ways” said the Millers Chairman.  

Joint manager Mark Harvey spoke to us earlier following the sad news and told us  “What do you say about Brian.
I met him many years back whilst playing wanting his player profile for the evening post.
From then on it felt like you never walked in a local ground anywhere without him being there greeting you. As a manager he drove me crazy getting player profiles then passing my best players numbers on to other managers, but then again when I wanted a number who did I call.
I’m certain for the last 20 year I’ve never seen him without having to buy a raffle ticket.
He loved his hospitality at clubs and who could argue he hadn’t earnt the right for it. A true legend of local football and will be sadly missed by everyone who met him. But I can guarantee he’s making a nuisance of himself up there already.
Rest well Brian”

Club legend Martin Ball who is still playing for the club was another in touch with us today and paid the following tribute.  “Firstly I want to send my love and condolences to all of Brian’s family and thank them for the time he spent at football over the years…he must have been at football matches more than he was at home! Brian was a real Nottingham non league man, and one of the genuine good guys in football. He epitomised everything that is Carlton Town and going to home games without Bri being one of the first people I have a chat to, while he eats his biscuits, will certainly take some getting used to!  No matter how often you’d seen him, or how long you had known him he could keep people talking non league football for hours, and the outpouring of tweets and messages I’ve seen the last 24 hours is the only way I can think to even begin to explain how much he was loved as a person, and as a friend. The effect he’s had on Carlton in particular and all of Nottingham non league football will never be forgotten. Rest In Peace Brian, you will be greatly missed”

Vice Chairman Barry North and Vice President Jackie North were among many devastated by Brian’s death and also penned some lovely words in tribute.
Tribute to a top man Brian Dennett
“It is with sadness that we write this,
Our hearts go out to his family at this very sad time. Brian was a kind and caring friend with a heart of gold.  Brian will be greatly missed at Carlton Town Football Club and in the football world. We are proud to have been friends with you for many years” GOD BLESS.
Barry and Jackie

One of Brian’s closest friends at the club was Phil Jennings and he had been keeping many asking about Brian up to date and told us “There was always something about Brian that would make you smile and over the last eight years he did that each time we met up.  I will miss you my friend, thanks for everything”

Another Carlton Town legend Grant Brindley was yet another in touch with the club today when he heard the news.
“I was really sad to hear the passing of Brian last night, his knowledge of non league football was second to none, he just seemed to know every player and member of staff everywhere he went. I think I only saw him get angry once , which was when the coach driver wouldn’t let him bring his dog on the bus, so he ended up driving up! I know he did a lot of good work for the club, and at the football post for a good number of years which is really going to be missed. Whenever I would see him we would always have a good chat, he always had time for you. RIP Brian”

Brian was not only popular with supporters and his fellow committee members, but also the players as seen with the tributes from Bally and Brinners and another club legend still playing in non other than Daryl Thomas who also had some moving words.“I’ve know Brian since the age of 16 from my time at Dunkirk when he did the Evening post, I think he was responsible for a couple of moves I got as he was always very complimentary in his match reports about me! Wherever I have played when ever I have seen him I’ve always made a point of stopping and having a conversation with him he was one of a kind, the role he played at Carlton over the years was nothing short of incredible. The last conversation I had with him he didn’t sound great but I’m just so thankful that I got to speak to him one last time – my prayers and best wishes go out to Brian’s family he will be truly missed. Rest in peace my friend “Daryll

The remarkable thing about Brian, he was known by virtually everyone in local non league football and Coalville Town’s Stuart Scott was one of many in touch with the club today telling us “So sorry to hear about Brian, a unique character who will be missed by everyone, please pass on my condolences to his family and everyone at Carlton”Brian was even popular among referees often helping out in hospitality and sorting a drink for the match officials before games and Northern Premier referee Martin Fryer contacted the club this afternoon speaking on behalf of match officials who all knew Brian said “All the referees enjoyed talking to Brian and it won’t be the same on Match days with him not coming to have a laugh with us. Our thoughts go out to the club and his family”

Former Championship winning Carlton Town Reseve team and Academy manager Ian Spencer said “Local football has lost a legend, so sad RIP Brian”

Another legend Ian White was in touch from Spain today sending his condolences along with former twice winning Senior cup final star now at Ilkeston Town, Alex Troke who said “So sorry to hear about the passing of Brian, what a man he was!

”The Monkey Tree crew who helped fund buses for away trips during Carlton brilliant league cup run a few years ago were in touch with both Pete Smith and Phil James contacting us separately to pay their respects.

Babs from the Millers Junoir section was another in touch as the list of people paying their condolences grew throughout the day as news spread and Babs told us. “Our hearts are heavy, the Juniors will forever be grateful for your time and effort you gave us. We will miss your presence and video calls and the ground will not be the same without you, RIP Brian, love from all of us at Carlton Town Juniors Fc”

The club’s senior management have already decided that they will be naming the Academy suite at the ground in his honour and were able to tell him this before he passed as Brian knew in the last few days, the doctors could do no more for him. He told Chairman Mick Garton and Mark Steggles “that would be nice” and only an hour earlier from his hospital bed, he had contacted a sponsor to remind him to sponsor an up and coming game.

This website understands the club will be holding their own tribute event when restrictions are lifted to honour a much loved individual and everyone from the Football family along with his family will be invited to attend, those talks and details are for a later date, but final words for now go to Club President Roger Smith. “Viv and I would like to offer our condolences to Brian’s family at this sad time. In every football club, there is always a character and Brian was the one at CTFC for all the fund raising and meeting people which he loved to do, this was his life. His friendship and his smile will be sadly missed by everyone in the football circle but will never be forgotten. The Academy Suite will be named after him” the president confirmed.  

25/2/2021 7:50 PM  #7

Very sad news . I didnt know the gentleman personally but i do know he was very popular chap. R.I.P 

25/2/2021 9:06 PM  #8

'  
Tribute from Billy Bennett :  

Billy Bennett @billybennett94   RIP Bri   a proper footballing man, but most importantly just a proper nice bloke, always made every player who’s been at Carlton welcome, me included!! Condolences to his family and the club

@CTFC1904   Carlton Town Fans @CarltonFans Terrible news to wake up this morning with the passing of our own Brian Dennett. All our thoughts are with his family. He'll be sorely missed by all who knew him (which in the non-league football world was a lot of people!). RIP.

26/2/2021 8:47 PM  #9

FEBRUARY 26, 2021

PROPOSED TOURNAMENT CUP TO BE NAMED IN HONOUR OF BRIAN !

We are delighted to announce that City Couriers Direct contacted the club today and suggested naming the proposed forthcoming tournament in honour of Brian Dennett with the trophy being played for named “The Brian Dennett Cup”There is still no start date for the proposed 16 team tournament with the government lifting many restrictions from 12th April , but supporters remained banned despite the fact bars can reopen for outdoor service.

Tommy Brookbanks thinks an announcement may follow in the coming weeks as cases continue to fall, but at the moment, no supporters are allowed in until June 21st.

The management committee have several options in place, but if restrictions on fans are not lifted until June, the tournament will not go ahead in April and May without supporters.

The fall back option is to play the tournament in July as a pre season tournament with clubs able to play trialists and look at youngsters as well as giving game time to their senior players.

Chairman Dick Durant will approach clubs with this option in due course if restrictions are not lifted for spectators to watch grass roots football earlier.

Dick thought it was a wonderful idea to name the Cup in honour of Brian and told us “It is a fitting tribute to a proper football man and we are delighted to accept the proposal”

City Couriers Direct spokesman Tom Claypole put out the following statement. “Following the sad news of the death of Brian Dennett earlier this week, we spoke with Mick Garton to discuss the naming of the inaugural City Couriers Direct football tournament and suggested that the trophy be named after Brian. We felt this would be appropriate as the tournament is primarily for local football clubs and no-one was more keen on the promotion of local football than Brian himself, our thoughts are with Brian’s family at this time, but we fervently hope that his name will live long in the memory of local football fans”

The club are going to be naming the Academy Suite in his honour and further details re this and some kind of memorial service and celebration of Brian’s life will be held at the ground when restrictions are lifted and further details regarding this will follow in the coming weeks.

However the club caught up with Brian’s family today, who have been moved by the response to Brian’s sad passing this week and the number of messages and phone calls he received while in hospital, they gave us the following statement.  “Our dad Brian loved Carlton Town, he dedicated a huge amount of his time to fund raising and promoting the club and always seemed to have a fistful of raffle tickets and event tickets to sell.  It is amazing that he is being remembered in this way, his heart and soul were in the club and now his name and memory will continue in the place and with the people he loved. We will be forever proud of our Dad”

The message came in from his son Alex, his daughter Claire and sister Lynn who have all been keeping various people at the club up to date as Brian’s condition sadly worsened over the last couple of weeks.The club is grateful to them for that and we understand plans are being looked at to stream the funeral with Covid restrictions limiting who can attend.

Finally, if anyone wishes to send a card, please address it to Mr Alex Dennett, 27 Wells Lane, Treeton, Rotherham S60 5QA.  

22/3/2021 10:11 PM  #10

Brian Dennett.
Ahead of tomorrow’s funeral, some familiar faces at The Bill Stokeld Stadium shared these messages for
#Carlton Town TV. 

Click below:

Brian Dennett - Carlton Town Tribute[/url][url=https://t.co/CWgaCkPD1J?amp=1]A tribute to the Millers long-serving commercial manager Brian Dennett, featuring contributions from Management, officials, players and supporters.Editing an...[/url][url=https://t.co/CWgaCkPD1J?amp=1]youtube.com

Last edited by Matchman (22/3/2021 10:17 PM)

Board footera