WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/5/2021 11:03 AM  #1

Nathan Watson joins Carlton Town

Why? Fallen out with the Ilkeston management/owners? Doesn’t think he’s getting enough game time? Has been told he doesn’t figure in future plans? Joining a club with more ambition? Been offered more money? It can’t be a geographical thing. Aren’t we losing one of our better players? Surely not a good sign. Anyone heard anything?

12/5/2021 1:58 PM  #2

Re: Nathan Watson joins Carlton Town

looks like he wanted to get back to the old manager he was under at Coalville i think. . It does make a mockery of Carlton having small budget i would have thought ......
No doubt our guys will have someone to replace Nat ..

12/5/2021 5:53 PM  #3

I heard a rumour a while ago that two players had left. Nat Watson and another first team regular. When time passed without any announcement  I thought it must be untrue. Nat Watson was one of my favourite players so I'm disappointed that he has left. It seems incredulous that Carlton with gates of around 100 could persuade one of our top players to join them.  

13/5/2021 7:39 AM  #4

Just goes to show you can't always believe clubs saying they are on a low budget ......

13/5/2021 9:24 AM  #5

CARLTON TOWN MEDIA GO INTO OVERDRIVE FOLLOWING NAT WATSON SIGNING

FROM CARLTON'S WEBSITE

FANTASTIC NEW SIGNING GOES DOWN A TREAT WITH SPECTATORS!

Carlton Town were delighted earlier today to announce the signing of one of the areas outstanding footballing talents in forward Nat Watson. The announcement was made on the club’s social media platforms today and as gone down a treat with supporters with overwhelming positive responses. The Millers are delighted to have got this signing over the line with several other clubs interested in securing the services of a special talent. Nat who feels in his prime at 30 years old was keen to work again with Mark Harvey and Tommy Brookbanks and both have been instrumental along with Chairman Mick Garton and Vice Chairman Barry North in getting this deal completed.
The management duo have described Watson as the best player they have worked with and he was instrumental in getting Coalville promoted to the Northern Premier League under their stewardship. It is arguably the biggest signing in the club’s history and follows hot on the heels of the announcement earlier in the week of the signing of former Mansfield Town youngster James Matthews. If supporters were sad with the departure of Ollie Clark, any disappointment must have been replaced with real optimism following the two signings this week.
Carlton Town Tv are catching up with Nat and and an exclusive interview with our vey own Josh Hodgson will be on our You Tube Channel tomorrow evening.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The club are delighted to announce the signing of Prolific striker Nat Watson Welcome to the club 

a great signing congratulations to everyone involved in getting it over the line 

Last edited by Matchman (13/5/2021 10:17 AM)

13/5/2021 8:47 PM  #6

Has anyone else see the Carton TV interview?
Omg I couldn't stop laughing at Josh the interviewer. I lost count how many "likes " were said , but the best is how many times he stroked his hair . I am sure he looked ....how can I put this....pi--ed.

13/5/2021 9:30 PM  #7

Here is the interview :

https://youtu.be/l6VkXvqXOfQ

Kev is right. The mannerisms of the interviewer are very funny and I like the way Nat says the Carlton pitch needs a bit of work.

We still don't know the reason why Nat Watson left ambitious Ilkeston for supposedly low budget Carlton as that question was not asked. 
It was a major coup for Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey to pull off such a prestigious signing.
However, Carlton were previously successful on a low budget and if they're now paying Nat a wage that is disproportionate compared with other players, it could cause resentment and problems.
But good luck to Carlton. They've signed a very good player. Goalscorers are gold and an injury free Watson may well score the 25 goals he says he is aiming for.

From Ilkeston's point of view, injury prevented Watson from scoring the goals we expected but he always looked a quality player. The question is, who will replace him?  As Zane has said, good players will always come and go and we need to trust our owners to improve the team.
There's exactly three months before the new Northern Premier League season starts on 14th August. Time for a new pitch and time to fine tune a promotion chasing team.
Finishing in a playoff position would be a major achievement in what looks like being a highly competitive league.

Last edited by Matchman (14/5/2021 8:44 AM)

14/5/2021 10:02 AM  #8

Thats an odd interview! He did not seem too excited to be signing for Carlton! Crap pitch no fans scenario? He obviously rates Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey as he has signed for them numerous times. He sounds like a honest footballer and its a pity he is not still at Ilkeston but if he was not happy with life at NMG like any other player no matter who they are they must be allowed to go. From what I gather, from the players I talk to,  there are always players queueing up to sign for Ilkeston because the club is never boring and the fans are fanatical and numerous.
I personally rate Elliott Reeves as the best striker we have had at Ilkeston since possibly Christian Moore and yes Che Adams. Whether Elliott can match the way Ilkeston play now is another question but he would be a very popular acquisition!

15/5/2021 8:56 AM  #9

There seems to be an ever increasing hope that Elliott Reeves may return. I would love it to be true but I fear that it is unlikely. Elliott is so revered by Ilkeston fans that it could persuade him to come back but if he is ambitious it is only natural for him to want to play at a higher level. As far as I'm aware he did well at Alfreton in the National League North so why would he take two steps back. However, if he came back to Ilkeston for the coming season and scored 30 plus goals in a successful side, which I think he is quite capable of doing, it would do his career no harm. Clubs higher up looking for better players always look at teams who have done well. So if Elliott Reeves scored 30 goals in a promotion winning team then his career ambitions would be back on track and so would Ilkeston's. 

Last edited by Matchman (15/5/2021 10:29 AM)

17/5/2021 8:41 PM  #10

Nathan Watson Wanting Play-Off Finish With Carlton Town

 3 days ago   By James Gordon

•  

Carlton Town’s latest recruit Nathan Watson is aiming for the play-offs with his new club in the 2021/22 Pitching In Northern Premier League. The prolific striker has been named three times in the NPL Team of the Year, and has scored more than 70 goals in the division. He spent three-and-a-half years at Coalville Town before being signed by Basford United in 2018 for an undisclosed club record fee for the Ravens.

Watson later joined Ilkeston Town in 2020, where he scored two goals in seven appearances, and now makes the switch to Carlton Town, admitting he had interest from elsewhere.  He said: “I had quite a few clubs contact me once it was common knowledge I wasn’t staying at Ilkeston for the coming season. It was a tough decision but as Carlton isn’t too far from where I live and knowing I’ve had success with the management team at previous clubs, it felt like the right move for me. “With everything that’s gone on with COVID over the past 18 months or so, I think every player will just be grateful to be back playing in general.  “It’s not a complete new club, players or manager for me as such as I’ve played a few games for Carlton previously and I know quite a few of lads from previous seasons and clubs. 

“As most people know I’ve spent most of my career playing for Tommy (Brookbanks) and Mark (Harvey) so I know exactly what to expect and likewise they do ”  Carlton Town finished 11th in the Pitching In 2020/21 curtailed season, with a record of three wins, two draws and four losses, and finished fifth the previous season before the pandemic struck.  Watson added: “After speaking with Mick (Garton, chairman), Tom and Mark before I signed, the main aim for next season is to finish in the play-offs, which would be a massive achievement with the amount of big clubs competing in this league next year.  “On a personal note as a striker you always want to score as many as possible so if I can get anywhere between 25 and 30 goals I’ll be happy."

Board footera