WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/5/2021 3:39 PM  #1

Spalding United signings

TWO FAMILIAR TALENTED PLAYERS COMMIT TO SPALDING UNITED FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON  .BY LEIGH PORTER   22 HOURS AGO

Gregg Smith and Nathan Stainfield commit to the Tulips!

Spalding United are pleased to welcome Gregg Smith & Nathan Stainsfield to the club for the 21/22 season. Gregg Smith (Striker) and Nathan Stainfield (Centre-Back) are committed for the upcoming season and the club could not be happier to welcome these players back. Gabriel Zakuani commented: "I am absolutely delighted to be bringing in two familiar faces for the upcoming season. These two lads will bring a lot to the club both on and off the pitch and it's great to beat a host of clubs for their commitment.

Gregg is not only a proven goalscorer but he gives us the physicality we need up top too. Nathan puts his body on the line to get results and is a true leader from the back. I can't wait to get the season started with these two in the squad." 

Gregg Smith commented: "I am looking forward to the challenge ahead! I loved my first time at the club and can't wait to get started. This is a great new adventure for me and my family" 
Nathan Stainfield commented: "I am excited to return to Spalding United. It is a club that I have always held close to my heart. Many good people have helped to make this happen and I hope I can return their faith with some good performances. Signing forms and seeing some friendly faces who make this club what it is has got me excited about wearing the shirt again and walking back out on the Sir Halley turf!"

09/5/2021 2:21 PM  #2

Re: Spalding United signings

Seven months ago on a Tuesday night we had brilliant travelling support and a great away win at Spalding.    

Tuesday 6th October 2020  :  Northern Premier League - South East Division
Spalding United  1 Ilkeston Town  2

Ilkeston remain unbeaten despite playing one short for 80 minutes after Charlie Marzano saw red. The Robins got off to a flying start with a goal inside the first five minutes. Alex Troke did really well keeping possession before giving Zak Goodson the opportunity to bulge the net. Ilkeston were well in command when Marzano’s late challenge was deemed to be worthy of a straight red. Despite the player advantage Spalding were kept at bay and Ilkeston made more scoring opportunities up until half time. Goodson was a constant threat while Spalding’s chances were few and far between.The second half saw much more determination from the hosts. They had two big scoring opportunities in quick succession and Kieran Fenton had to clear off the line before Ilkeston swept down the other end and went two up on 54 minutes. Goodson was again the scorer taking his season’s tally to seven in six matches. Spalding were stung into action and Ilkeston were forced to defend for most of the remaining time. On the hour Ilkeston were fortunate when a Spalding effort hit  the outside of the post. As the game progressed Ilkeston were under almost constant pressure with Kieran Fenton outstanding at the back. Spalding finally broke through on 85 minutes and what a goal it was by Scott Floyd through a crowded goalmouth right into the far top corner. That signalled an almighty effort by Spalding to grab a point. Ilkeston were hanging on when the board went up showing five added minutes. A Spalding shot skimmed the crossbar but that was the closest they got as Ilkeston held on to the three points.  

Ilkeston Town :1 Ross Durrant, 2 Charlie Marzano, 3 Mitchell Tait, 4 Jack Thomas, 5 Joe Maguire, 6 Keiran Fenton (c), 7 Zak Goodson, 8 Oliie Brown-Hill, 9 Alex Troke, 10 Nat Watson, 11 James Reid.
Subs : 12 Mason Lee, 14 Riece Bertram, 15 Ayleal Dill, 16 James Cullingworth, 17 Alex Render.

18/5/2021 7:22 PM  #3

Re: Spalding United signings

Ex-Peterborough United ace Marcus Maddison signs for Spalding United! 
Spalding United FC have pulled off a major transfer coup by signing former Peterborough United star Marcus Maddison.  By Alan Swann 

Maddison (27) recently threatened to quit professional football after a frustrating spell at promoted League Two side Bolton Wanderers last season. But he’s been tempted back into action - four divisions lower than League Two - by former Posh teammate Gaby Zakuani who now manages the big-spending Tulips.

Spalding will play in the Northern Premier League Central Division in 2021-22.  Maddison, who made 249 appearances for Posh, scoring 62 goals, said: “When Gaby reached out and offered me the opportunity to get involved with what he’s trying to build at Spalding, I felt like it was something I wanted to be part of. I look forward to getting fit and showing the gaffer what I can do”

Zakuani added: “I’m very pleased to get a player of this quality. I know Marcus personally, and I think at this arrangement suits both parties.”Posh signed Maddison from National League Gateshead in 2014. He moved on loan to Hull in January, 2020 before joining Charlton on a free transfer in August 2020. He moved to Bolton on loan last January, but started just four games before leaving the club saying he was broken mentally and the ‘abuse, pressure and monotony’ had got to him.

Last edited by Matchman (18/5/2021 7:25 PM)

Board footera