WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/6/2021 10:07 AM  #1

Pay cuts at Basford

According to today’s Non League Paper, Steve Chettle has been forced to impose wage cuts on his Basford United squad. 

Unlucky new boy, Ollie Clarke, who signed in February from Carlton Town, will play no part in the coming season. He picked up a long term injury after going for a run and injuring his knee. This leaves Chettle one short in his squad.

Last edited by Matchman (06/6/2021 4:23 PM)

06/6/2021 5:47 PM  #2

Re: Pay cuts at Basford

When moneybags Basford admit to making wage cuts, it highlights the position of all non league football clubs following losses accumulated over the last two curtailed seasons.  

Many clubs at our level simply will not have the funds to make a serious promotion challenge this coming season. 

Belper, Spalding, Stamford, Ilkeston, Carlton and Loughborough have tried to improve their squads and look the most likely to make a promotion challenge in our league. There are some teams that we know little about, but in my personal opinion, the other four teams likely to be in the top half are Corby, Halesowen, Chasetown and Shepshed.

Corby and Halesowen are both well supported teams and should be playoff contenders.

Chasetown always have a decent side and I expect Shepshed to be unphased by the step up.

Cambridge City and Histon have appealed against their placement in our league. I'm not expecting them to be successful but, if they were, then our league could go ahead with just 18 teams. Alternatively we may have two new teams joining us by lateral movement. 

Last edited by Matchman (06/6/2021 6:16 PM)

Board footera