WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/7/2021 8:03 PM  #1

Promotion hopefuls Chasetown strengthen

Andy Parsons Looking To Bring Experience To Chasetown

About 6 hours ago  By James Gordon

Andy Parsons says he is looking to bring experience to his latest club in Chasetown in the Northern Premier League Midlands. The centre-back was announced by the club earlier in July alongside Mitch Botfield, and joins the Scholars after a short spell at Bedworth.

Parson said: “Before Covid, I was quite settled at Halesowen but I found myself on the bench a few times and I said to the gaffer, “look, I’m in my 30s, I want to be playing.’”   “I felt I’ve still got a bit to offer and can start at this level. He didn’t want me to go, but I went to Bedworth, ended up playing one game for them and then Covid struck.

Obviously Bedworth didn’t want me to leave but Chasetown showed some interest and it’s local to me. I spoke to the gaffer and liked what I saw. I spoke with the new chairman and they want to go places. “After the chat with him and the assistant, I thought this is right up my street. The way he sold the club and sold his playing days and me getting a bit older and looking after myself. I didn’t really want to think about it.

When I left Halesowen and Alvechurch probably about 10 clubs came after me, but I wanted somewhere quickly and I was lucky in that respect.”Speaking of the 2021/22 season, in which Chasetown will compete in Northern Premier League Midlands, he added: “My last full season, I got five goals. I like to get up for corners and get on the end of things wherever possible. So, I’d like to beat that this season and I want to contribute as much as I can.”  

And the defender is hoping to bring experience and a strong talking game to the club. “The manager said to me that it’s a great bunch of lads but it needs some experience and older heads there and I’ll fit in there,” said Parsons. “I trained with them and played with them and they’re a great bunch of lads. On the pitch, if someone needs telling to do something, you tell them. That’s football, if someone tells me, I’ll listen. It’s just that bit of give and take and that’s what he wanted.  “I said to him I can’t stop myself from doing that anyway, I couldn’t go on the pitch and be quiet.

I was at Alvechurch for about five years and won promotions, some people play Saturday football and don’t get to win a title and experience that, so I’ve been lucky there.“Since 18, I haven’t missed a pre-season. I kept myself busy during lockdown but it’s not the same. I’ve enjoyed getting back into it and feel fitter. The games soon come around and that’s when you really start enjoying it. Couple of weeks of hard work and then the fun begins.”

Last edited by Matchman (29/7/2021 7:52 AM)

Board footera