WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/7/2021 9:28 AM  #1

Newark v IIkeston Tue 27th Jul 2021

Reminder : Newark are ground sharing with Basford United this season so our pre-season friendly takes place at Greenwich Avenue, Basford, NG6 0LD.  In their last game Newark won 5-3 at Uttoxeter. Ilkeston will be looking to avenge a 4-0 defeat incurred in last season’s pre-season friendly.

This should be a sterner test than our previous friendlies. We now have a squad of over twenty players so will it be thinned out? 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

NEWARK FC
Tommorow night we host @ilkestontown_fc - kick off 7.45 at Greenwich Avenue

Last edited by Matchman (26/7/2021 4:21 PM)

27/7/2021 7:48 AM  #2

Re: Newark v IIkeston Tue 27th Jul 2021

For those unable to make the journey to Basford tonight there will be the usual updates here on WhiteBall. Kickoff is 7 45pm

Martin Carruthers said he would like a clean sheet.

Newark won their last match by 5-3 against Uttoxeter and before that they were hit for six by Ollerton in a match that ended 6-4.  That’s 9 goals for and 9 against in two matches. 

Ilkeston have scored 17 and conceded 5 in their 4 pre-season games

Last edited by Matchman (27/7/2021 7:51 AM)

27/7/2021 9:57 AM  #3

on the wrong shift so will be looking out for the score 

27/7/2021 6:10 PM  #4

We're at the ground and it's raining steadily.

Ilkeston starting XI   (in the formation I was given)

Ross Durrant,

Rashaan Frances,    Stern Irvine      Kieran Fenton

Ollie Brown-Hill    Charlie Marzano     Jake Wright      Mitchell Tait

Alex Troke

Mason Lee          Kole Lambert

Subs : Aman Verma, Zak Goodson, Richard Stainsby, Joe Maguire, Charlie Wakefield, Billy Bennett, James Carvell, Remaye Campbell.

Starting Team by numbers on shirts 

1  Ross Durrant,  2 Rashaan Frances,  3 Mitchell Tait,  4 Charlie Marzano,  5 Trialist (Stern Irvine),  6 Kieran Fenton,  7 Kole Lambert,  8 Jake Wright,  9 Mason Lee,  10 Alex Troke,  11 Ollie  Brown-Hill.

Last edited by Matchman (27/7/2021 6:41 PM)

27/7/2021 6:47 PM  #5

It's almost kickoff time and it's now stopped raining.The teams are out and Ilkeston are wearing their navy away colours. Newark are wearing orange shirts and black shorts. 

We're off ...

27/7/2021 6:53 PM  #6

Effort from Tait goes wide. First corner to Newark. Wright heads clear. Newark header clears the crossbar.          0-0        6 mins

27/7/2021 6:58 PM  #7

Long range Newark effort is well wide. Great pass by Wright sends Tait away but defender does well to stop the attack. No clear cut chances so far.      0-0      11 mins 

27/7/2021 7:04 PM  #8

Lambert header saved by keepers leg. That's closest to a goal so far. Lambert then  looks to be through but he puts it wide when keeper races out to challenge him. GOAL for Newark    0-1       16 mins

27/7/2021 7:12 PM  #9

Chance for Ilkeston as Troke header gets deflected for corner. Fenton does well to deny Newark No 9. 
0-1      25 mins

27/7/2021 7:16 PM  #10

Some decent Ilkeston moves not quite coming off. Lambert feeds Troke and Troke's shot slams against the bar.      0-1      29 minutes

27/7/2021 7:26 PM  #11

Free kick to Newark 30 yards out in good position but nothing comes of it.  GOAL Newark    0-2      35 mins

27/7/2021 7:28 PM  #12

GOAL  Ilkeston Kole Lambert  36 mins  Immediate reply by Ilkeston       1-2

27/7/2021 7:36 PM  #13

Newark keeper races out to take the ball off Mason Lee's toe. Great effort by Marzano only just wide. 

Half time   Newark  2  Ilkeston  1

It's been a bit scrappy with Ilkeston edging it possession wise but Newark have taken their chances and lead 2-1.  Stand out ilkeston player for me was Jake Wright.

27/7/2021 7:48 PM  #14

Joe Maguire replaces Fenton at start of second half.  We're off again ....

27/7/2021 7:51 PM  #15

Penalty to Ilkeston as Troke is prevented from reaching the ball following Taits cross      Troke converts      2-2               47 minutes

27/7/2021 7:56 PM  #16

Maguire gets in the way of a blockbuster. Lee fires wide for Ilkeston  Lively start to second half.      2-2       53 minutes

27/7/2021 8:05 PM  #17

Verma and Campbell on for Lambert and Wright. 0n 62 minutes

27/7/2021 8:11 PM  #18

Ilkeston now having more possession but without creating chances. Great defending by Frances. Chance for Remaye Campbell and its only just wide.  More Ilkeston changes.   67 minutes

27/7/2021 8:15 PM  #19

Good iLkeston move involving Frances only brings a corner. Full strength Ilkeston now starting to dominate. 
2-2     72 mins

27/7/2021 8:26 PM  #20

Seems like only a matter of time before Ilkeston score.  we're on top but Newark are defending well.        2-2        82 minutes

27/7/2021 8:31 PM  #21

Free kick Ilkeston on edge of area.  Bennett takes , keeper saves.    Only a few minutes left now     2-2     87 mins

27/7/2021 8:33 PM  #22

Full time      2-2

28/7/2021 8:23 AM  #23

I know its only pre season but we do seem to be leaking goals . And are Newark becoming a bogey team for us ..

28/7/2021 9:03 AM  #24

Don’t read too much into the goals conceded Kev. We’re missing chances too. Players make mistakes all over the pitch - that’s what pre season is for

We’ve only had Maggie for 45 mins during which time we didn’t concede!

All in all we’ve played nice stuff. Last night was an indicator of how we can move it fast on a good surface. Might be a few 4-3s this season. But it’ll be entertaining

Cautious optimism is in order. Think we’ll see close to the full side Saturday so let’s judge after that if we do

28/7/2021 9:13 AM  #25

​My opinion :
Not one of our better performances. If we're hoping to challenge for promotion we should be winning games like this.  Martin Carruthers started with what he probably considered to be not his strongest side to give those players an opportunity to make a statement. Unfortunately for some players the opportunity to really impress passed them by. It wasn't that we played badly but we missed chances and conceded two goals. There seemed to be a lack of confidence. Standout player for me in the first half was Jake Wright who played really well and was always wanting the ball. Ollie Brown-Hill struggled to get into the match but it in fairness it was only his second game.
As the more senior players were introduced in the second half Ilkeston dominated but were unable to find the winner. I thought Stern Irvine had another solid game at the back and Mitchell Tait in a more attacking role didn't look out of place. Joe Maguire made his first appearance and settled straight in. Rashaan Frances had another cracking game showing pace and strength. Aman Verma again looked a class act.  

28/7/2021 10:20 AM  #26

My take:

• Joe Maguire looked sharp when he came on. And he really got stuck in, as he always does.
  • Mitchell Tait is becoming a very accomplished footballer, at wing-back or fullback. Probably ready for the first team.
  • Ollie Brown Hill looked well off the pace. But I guess he’s behind others in terms of preparation.
  • We looked much more solid in the second half playing a back four. Irvine and Maguire look a good pair.
  • Frances gets better game on game at right-back.
  • For the last 30 minutes or so, we had something approaching our strongest team out and yet we still struggled to create chances.
  • Verma does look a class act. Surely he could play at a higher level?
  • I like the pace of Carvell and Goodson up front. But when either of them put a cross in, we need more than just Troke in the box; maybe Verma will take up some advanced positions.
  • I think we’re a good footballing side.
  • I think we’ve got a better team than last season.

28/7/2021 10:27 AM  #27

cheers for that guys my plan worked , got more info on others thoughts . i can say anything though as i havent been yet . Will be there this sat and cant bloody wait ...

28/7/2021 12:05 PM  #28

Our dead ball delivery - especially corners. Was dire. Has been in every game I’ve been to. Keep hitting the first man. Got to improve that. But we played some nice stuff last night. Albeit starting with probably only 4 or 5 who will start at Stamford

Based on what I’ve seen so far I’d go 3  4   3 as follows:

Durrant

Irvine.             Maguire           Fenton

Francis.            Wakefield.          Verma.            Bennett

Troke.              Campbell.          Goodson

That’s tough on the likes of Lee Marzano Wright etc but they’d form a strong bench along with the likes of Reid Carvell Tait Staino Lambert Brown - Hill etc etc

Plenty of great impact subs in there to change games if needed

Irvine hasn’t signed yet either so things may change if he doesn’t

Supplement that with the decent kids and anyone I’ve forgotten and that’s a strong 20. Some will drift off when not picked

Whether our first 11 is good enough to finish above Stamford only time will tell. Finish above them and you win it. Simple as that

Gonna be a great day Saturday and a potentially great season. Home games will be buzzing. Can’t wait for the weekend 😀

Last edited by Dick Durrant (28/7/2021 12:05 PM)

29/7/2021 9:24 AM  #29

yeah looking forward to this sat as its my first match , and the new flag will be present as well. 
Bringing the missus and two grand kids down as well

Board footera